Sunday, May 9, 2010

New 2010 Penny


Our daughter Rebekah walked into the living room Friday holding a penny in her hand and announced that "there's a new penny."

I was surprised at the excitement the announcement generated among our youngest children. Isaac and Emma both jumped to their feet and looked at her penny. After inspecting it intently for a few seconds, Isaac, with an unusual intensity in his voice asked Rebekah to "turn it over."

She did, and with relief in his voice he said, "good, it still has Lincoln on it!"

With that statement Brandy and I exchanged knowing glances at each other. Suddenly, it all made sense.

It made sense that our son who is enthralled with presidential facts and trivia, whose favorite president is Lincoln, would care so much about what is on the new penny.

I'm still trying to figure out why Emma cared so much. I guess because she is five.

2 comments:

Kyle said...

That's pretty funny. Erica was excited on Saturday over a penny, too. She earned it from 'vacuuming' the family room floor.

I've never seen such excitement over Mr. Lincoln. Apparently, you have!

Unknown said...

Sometimes as the years roll on things change. I am glad it still has Lincoln on that penny.