Friday, January 21, 2011

How to make square dancers laugh

I hung out with a bunch of square dancers last night while working on a story for the newspaper. Most of them appeared to be in their mid-80s.

I heard some great stories and saw some deft moves on the dance floor, but my favorite moment came between dances.

The man calling the dance asked the gathering to name the year and author of the song they had just danced. Nobody guessed it. The caller had to inform the group that it was a Hank Williams song from 1951.

I watched a man coming off the dance floor smile as he told his wife that one of the dancers had said she wasn't even born in '51. The couple laughed, then the wife looked over at me and noticed I had overheard their conversation.

She tried to include me by saying, "you probably weren't even around in 1951."

To which I said with a smile, "I don't even think my dad had been born yet."

The lady and her husband roared with laughter.

No comments: