Yuck...humble pie.
But the good news is that I didn't have to eat too much of it. Just a slice.
Today I started my content class for my teacher certification. It's scheduled for 10 days, 8am - 5pm each day. I've been promised that our teacher will cut it dramatically short. I sure hope so.
Today, our teacher wasn't there, but she left ME a practice test to take. See, my class has 4 students, and the other three have already taken and passed their content exam. So they didn't have to take the practice test. They got to leave. I was alone in the room with the substitute teacher (babysitter) for almost three hours. The test was 80 questions, and I barely got finished in time.
I'm certifying to teach math in grades 8-12. I used to know my stuff. I studied math for four years. I think I took something like 15 different math classes. But that was a long time ago. I was afraid that calculus would be on the test. See, I took calculus in 1995. And haven't seen it since. I've tutored several students in math over the years, but not once did I have anyone ask for help with logarithms or derivatives or even integrals. And so it's gone. All that knowledge and skill is just gone.
The good news was that although logarithms were on the test (but I think I remembered enough to give a good guess) there was no other calculus. I hope this is true for the real exam.
The bad news was that there were several statistics questions, and I swear I never learned any statistics. I didn't even have enough information to take a guess. At least I know what I'll need to focus on and re-learn (or learn for the first time as with statistics) over the next 9 class periods. I scheduled my state exam for two days after I finish the class. I didn't want to allow any time for the knowledge to seep back out of my brain.
Really, I'm counting on one thing--that doing upper level math is like riding a bike.
Monday, July 6, 2009
one down, nine to go
Posted by
Brandy
at
6:03 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Better you than me. When you get to the spelling portion of your class let me know. That's all I can help you with. We are living proof that genes are passed in whole quantities to specific children. You got all of the Math genes and I got all of the..... um..... I'm sure I got something good... Good luck and when you need your study food (wing stop and Sonic drinks)just let me know.
Good luck with your classes. Don't be so hard on yourself. I'm sure it is all still in there. You can get it out I am sure.
Post a Comment