Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I am my grandpa

It took me a few days to adjust to it, but I'm okay with it now.

When I was growing up my grandparents would come over our house for birthdays or after they returned from a vacation. They would bring gifts, and we would all talk in the living room. My grandfather was always taking out his fake tooth or telling us to "not take any wooden nickles." He would let us place our feet on his, and he would walk us around the room.

What I remember most, however, is that he always loved our dog. He would bring it special treats. While we sat and visited, the dog would be next to him on the couch as he petted her and scratched her head. My grandparents didn't visit too regularly, maybe once every month or two, but he and that dog had a connection. They were always glad to see each other.

As an adult, I watched him forge the same relationship with my sister's dog.

One time, while our extended family was gathered together during a holiday, my brother Ethan walked by my grandfather, who was standing in front of a television. The movie Air Bud was playing. Ethan swore that he witnessed tears in my grandfather's eyes as he watched a part of the movie. We never let grandpa know it, but me and my brothers laughed about how Air Bud could bring tears out of grandpa. He may be the only man alive who cried during that movie -- that is, if Ethan was telling the truth.

So, are you ready for this?

I had a crown come off recently and before I got it fixed, I kept putting it back on my tooth and pulling it out of my mouth just to thrill my children.

When I come home from work, Emma likes to wrap herself around my leg while I walk her around the room.

In the past month, my family went to visit my brother Adam and his wife Misty. While I was there, I think I played with their dog more than I talked with them. It was so bad that a few days after our visit Adam, as a joke, sent me a picture of his dog because he knew I would miss him.

At first I felt a little guilty after leaving Adam's house, because I paid so much attention to his dog. Then I thought about my grandfather and those visits to our house when I was a boy. At first, all I could remember was that he loved our dog, but the more I thought about it the more details I remembered.

Hopefully the same thing will happen for Adam and Misty when they think back on my family's recent visit to their home. My brother Keith is planning on visiting Adam soon, and I've already asked him to bring Adam's dog a treat for me.

Two more things: I have never seen or been offered any wooden nickles, but I sure know what to do if that ever occurs. Also, I must admit that I have never actually watched the movie Air Bud.

I don't know if I want to watch it because recently I've done a lot of thinking and as strange as this sounds I think I AM MY GRANDPA.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right Paul, I love it.!!! Your grandpa would be proud, I hope he looks at your blog.L/Faye

Unknown said...

Now you understand why Keith loves his poodle so much. There best friends. Love Mom.