Saturday, October 3, 2009

Quaky Voice

For the first time in a long time I had quaky voice, and I don't really know why.

It happened last Monday when I addressed our local school board during a public forum. I was not there to complain. I was there to praise a staff member for their work.

The athletic director of the middle school was instrumental in assisting my son with his Eagle Scout project. The man showed exemplary leadership, and I wanted to let the school board know how much my family appreciated his efforts.

I only spoke for about three minutes, but my voice trembled with emotion the whole time.

I can't remember the last time that happened. I wasn't intimidated. I was prepared. And I have lots of experience speaking to groups of people.

So, why did I have quaky voice?

I speak in church on a monthly basis. I have conducted church meetings. I taught school for four years. I've taught Priesthood and Sunday School lessons. At times I am vocal during meetings at work. For my job, I've interviewed lots of public officials and others of high standing.

I never get nervous and speak with the vibrato I spoke with last Monday.

After some reflection, I think I know why I stood resolute in front of the school board but spoke with teeming emotion.

I think it's because I love my son, and I was truly grateful for a man who saw beyond academics or football strategy and took the time to work with him on a project that I think is extremely valuable.

I will forever be a Life Scout. My son, however, will be an Eagle Scout, and for that accomplishment, we have a lot of people to thank. If I talk to you about it and you hear a hint of shakiness in my voice, just know that I am extremely proud and grateful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paul, First let me say I'm so glad you posted a new blog and second I am so proud of you and Brandy for the guideance you give your children,They could not achieve the goals they have if they didn't have parents like you and Brandy, always encouraging them and letting them know they can do anything they set their mind too. Great Job!!! L/ Grandma

Unknown said...

Some people are special and don't realize the impact of there giving ways. Awesome leadership.