Wednesday, January 20, 2010

build-a-bear

Several years ago Build-A-Bear opened a store in Waco. I remember when it opened I thought to myself, "my kids will never get one of those." They are on the pricier side of stuffed animals (so I thought), so I figured that if my kids wanted a Build-A-Bear, I could just get them a cheaper Target or Toys R Us version.

Here we are a couple of years later and both my girls have several Build-A-Bears each. (If you don't buy all the clothes and accessories, they really aren't too expensive.) We've bought so many that recently we got a "reward check" in the mail for $10 worth of free merchandise.

Knowing I had this reward check and a recently acquired $5 off coupon, I headed to Build-A-Bear with Emma to get her a new bear. She was so excited. She cleaned her room and kept it clean for several days in anticipation of the new bear. When we got to the store, she went up and down the aisle of empty animal bodies looking at each one to choose her perfect mate. She had said she already knew she wanted the unicorn, but the buffet before her threw her off and she got side-tracked. After a little coaxing from the clerk, Emma chose to get the new valentine dog with heart-shaped spots. She named the dog "Heart."

Tonight Emma and I had to drop off the older kids at church. We had an hour and a half to burn, so Emma asked if we could go to the mall. I had a few other places I wanted to go, so I told her there was nothing at the mall I needed to buy. She asked if we could go to Build-A-Bear so she could get the unicorn. I told her I didn't have money for the unicorn right now, but she could save up her money and we could get it later.

I then asked her, "Why do you want the unicorn?"

She answered, "Because it has a horn and can kill things."

Okay.

See, I thought she wanted it because it is pink and has a sparkly horn. I guess I don't know Emma as well as I thought I did. I'm pretty sure I'm going to put off buying her that unicorn for as long as I can.