Nearly every day my mom points out my lack of blogging. Honestly, I have been real busy, but more than that--I just don't know what to say anymore. The only thing on my mind is school...
Tomorrow is our first day off school for the Christmas break. We technically have two weeks left in this semester when we go back in January, but essentially all the teaching for this semester is done. All that's left is reviewing, more reviewing, and finals.
I get asked a lot if I like teaching. I never want to just answer, "Ya, I love it" because that's not the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Yes, I love it, but sometimes it's so hard. I teach two classes of Algebra 1 to advanced 8th graders, and those classes are perfect. I love teaching them. Love, love, love it.
But, I also teach three classes of math models at the high school. This class is consumer math--banking, investing, loans, interest, taxes, etc. These are the "not advanced" students. They are all juniors and seniors who do not like math. All of them say math is their worst subject. I try very hard to make the class interesting and relevant and fun, but sometimes they want no part of it. Sometimes I download cool video clips that go with our lesson and if the video is more than 10 minutes, they are all asleep when I turn on the lights. Honestly! I don't know how to teach someone who doesn't want to learn. I've been able to see a few students learn and grow and appreciate my effort, but the majority of the high schoolers test my limits daily.
I'm very glad that I have my husband to talk to. He spent four years teaching at a school much more difficult than mine, and he is full of advice and support. He lets me vent my frustrations and always has a kind word of encouragement for me. But, please don't worry. I do love it. I know 100 percent that I am doing what I am meant to do. So many people have told me that the first year will be the worst year, and if this is the worst it gets, I'm going to do just fine.
I really do love teaching. I'm finding my weaknesses and making them strengths. I'm being tested and tried, and I love it. My family is being blessed tremendously because of my job. My son, Paul, is in my 8th grade class, and it is a pleasure to teach him and his friends. My kids love coming to my classroom at the end of the day. They love that I am a teacher.
So there you go, Mom. I blogged. It's nothing you haven't heard before, but that's what's on my mind. Hopefully I'll be able to blog very soon about my new niece who is due to be born within the week! Hurry up, Tonya--I want to meet her.
Sunday, December 20, 2009
first semester down...almost
Posted by
Brandy
at
10:38 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Being busy does make it hard to blog but I want you to blog too, so you aren't just doing this for your mom. How exciting for Tonya (and you)!
Post a Comment