Thursday, February 12, 2009

neglected

No, I'm not talking about this blog.

Last week was Rebekah's 11th birthday. And I failed to even mention it here on the blog.

Here are our respective excuses for not blogging: Paul--FACEBOOK; Brandy--homework. (That was for you, Brother Vance.)

So I'll put my homework on hold and use my lunch hour at work to tell you a little about my beautiful daughter, Rebekah. She's 11. I think I already mentioned that.

Rebekah has great hair. Really. It's thick, soft, and holds a curl very well. I hope it stays this way all her life. She'll love it if it does.

Rebekah loves to write. She volunteered to be on the UIL writing team and when the coach would give them a prompt, Rebekah would work very hard to come up with a great story. Her stories are long, too. She recently wrote a 6 page play for her music class to perform. Several kids were going to submit plays, then everyone would vote on which one to perform. One kid in class said, "I'm voting for Rebekah's play" even before Bek had even written the play. I guess she's got a rep in the writing community?!. (yes, they ended up voting for her play) She also wrote everyone in our family a personalized poem for Christmas. It was very touching that she would put so much thought and time into all those poems.

Rebekah has blossomed academically in middle school. Go figure. She's always been a great student with good grades, but something happened at the beginning of 5th grade, and she's got it all figured out now. She got her progress report yesterday and her lowest grade is a 97. Also 5th grade has been a banner year for spelling. Her once "terrible" subject is now one of her best. She gets a 100 on Monday's pre-test almost every week. I really don't think she realizes how great she is going in school. Humility...

Rebekah has a strong, active moral compass. She is pure in heart. She really tries to choose the right and to be an overt example to her friends. She's very responsible, trustworthy, and talented. She likes to cook and is great at making fudge pie. I feel confident in her abilities to just pick up a recipe and make it.

So you see, Rebekah is wonderful, and I'm sorry I'm late celebrating her birthday on this blog. Happy Birthday, Bek!

8 comments:

TonyaKuykendall said...

I haven't received a call about tasting her Fudge Pie. Why is that?????

Unknown said...

Great Rebekah,I would love to see some of her writing.And sample her cooking. She is sweet and a Lovely girl.In every way.

Larry said...

Never underestimate your influence!

Larry said...

It sounds to me like you do not need an excuse to celebrate her. A birthday is nice, but there are 364 unbirthdays.

Anonymous said...

You have said some beautiful and touching things about your daughter.I've enjoyed reading how you talk about her hair,her writing and her heart.Lots of love in the words.
Robert+Kelly=4boys

Mark and Heidi Romer said...

Happy Birthday Beautiful Becca! I miss seeing you. Love ya! Your favorite Aunt, HEIDI
(that was for Taunia)

Unknown said...

How is the "homework" coming - I often think I'll go back and get some sort of teaching certificate and than I think "WHY"...I hate having the responsibility of a class room>>>I'd rather sub. Becca DOES have wonderful hair>>>I had to break the news to Abigail that someday her hair might change colors - she was NOT happy about that. I think you should let Becca write a post or two, I'm sure there would be insight into your family that no one might know of! Hmm...off to keep reading blog posts!

TonyaKuykendall said...

You're right... Fudge pie is WONDERFUL!!!! Thanks Bek