I'm learning new things about myself everyday. Not really, but isn't that what people usually say?
But I have learned two new things about myself recently.
1. I cannot give a decent speech. Let me explain. I have had several opportunities to give 5 - 15 minute talks in sacrament meeting at church. Some I liked more than others. The more I do it, the better I get (I hope.) I also have recently taught a couple of lessons in Relief Society. I didn't go home ashamed of myself, so I guess I did fine. I also teach algebra everyday at school. I think my lecturing is fine. Sometimes I surprise myself at how well I explain things. It's fun, exciting, and sometimes really cool.
But none of those examples are "speeches". I'm serious folks when I say I can't give a decent speech. I have had to give 3 speeches in my teacher certification classes and each one was terrible. My first one was part of a group and I hated what I added. The second one I was prepared for, but I acted like I wasn't. I rambled. On Tuesday, I had to present a PowerPoint. I have never used PowerPoint before, so I got my kids to help me (yes, both Paul and Bek are very experienced in PowerPoint). I prepared my slides and I prepared a written speech to go along with the slides. I had the paragraphs labeled with the slide number so I would know exactly what to say with each slide (therefore preventing any rambling...).
But guess what. When you are in "slideshow" mode, the slides are not numbered. So somewhere around slide 9 (of 12) I skipped a paragraph and didn't know it. So I was a slide behind for the last 3 slides. I finished my script with one slide left to show! UGHHHH! I just can't win!
A good friend of ours is the president of a local chapter of Toastmasters. My dad was in Toastmasters when I was young, so I know a little about it. It is safe to say I will never win at Toastmasters and mostly because I will never join!!! I'm cutting my losses in speech giving and will avoid it for the rest of my life! The end.
2. I found my first gray hair. It's in my bangs. That's all I need to say about this.
Thursday, February 19, 2009
self-discovery
Posted by
Brandy
at
11:36 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Is speech giving really necessary? I hope to never give a speech again- Public Speaking was plenty for me.
I can't remember when I found Bryan's first gray hair. I don't look for them in my own hair.
I'm sorry it didn't go as perfectly as you planned so hard for it to go. I'm not good at speeches, talks OR lessons, so you're better than me on that...
You need to look twice at the hair. I bet it is just a really blonde one. It can't be gray. Mom doesn't have them yet... lol
Toastmasters is just what you need. It is an organization that is tailored to help people that have fear at public presentation. In a non-threatening environment where people mutually support each other and provide positive suggestions for improvement.
I am confident that you too could benefit from Toastmasters. I feel that I have learned from Toastmasters. The biggest regret I have is that I did not start 20 years ago.
What color is gray?
Thanks Tonya, Bran I can introduce you to Miss Clariol she's a very good friend of mine, but we won't tell anyone,Shhhhhhh L/Mom
Larry,
Gray hair is white.
Consider yourself lucky that you only have one ;) I found my first gray hair when I was 16, and I've been coloring my hair since Sweetie was born. If you need any pointers on hair color let me know...I have lots of experience!
Brandy, you mentioned finding one hair a bit lighter in color than the others. The color is not gray...it is Arctic Blonde. No worries, all my hair is Arctic Blonde. p.s. Toastmasters would be fun for you. L/ Paka
Post a Comment