Yesterday I got an email from Emma's school nurse. It said that she needed to get her second hepatitis shot before Friday (or I assume something bad would happen--she didn't say.) So I called the doctor and planned for my husband to take Emma before school today to get her shot.
Well, I had a choice. I could let it be a "surprise" or tell Emma what was planned. I told Emma. At first she was okay with it. Then she threw a fit, then she was calm, then another random fit. I kept telling her that it was the law and that she couldn't go to school if she didn't get the shot.
She finally calmed down after I started joking about where they could give her the shot. She laughed when I told her they might put it in her rear end. If she only knew...
So anyway, during FHE last night, all was fine and reverent, then she started crying and complaining about the shot again. This was out of nowhere! The girl must have been searching her thoughts and it came up again.
So what should I do in the future? Be honest and let her know before hand, or spring it on her in the parking lot of the doctor's office? Either way, she's not going to be very happy with me.
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
did i do the right thing?
Posted by
Brandy
at
11:54 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I have no advice because I make the appointment and Jason takes him to it.... I will ask Jason if he warns him on the drive or not.
I think you did the right thing. When they are young, I don't tell them but when they start remembering, I tell in advance. Sometimes you go to the doctor and don't get a shot, I don't want my kids to wonder every time they go tot the doctor's "am I getting a shot?" and freaking out for every visit.
Honesty is always the best policy. Just read your President McKay manual again. She will always remember you told the truth. Then she will tell the truth too.
I've had that experience before, too. It's easier (in some ways) with the little ones not knowing what's coming. But I still tell my older kids what's coming. They have to be able to trust me to be straight with them.
Brandy, shots are the greatest fear children have in life. You and Tonya held the same feelings. I did also. It is natural. Being honest with a child or anyone else is never wrong. You did right. No good ever comes from doing wrong. I know that for a fact. Paka
Just so you know... I told Jake up front that he was going to the doctor and that he was going to get an "owwie". He said, "get owwie?". So I am trying to be like you with the honesty thing. I'll ask Jason if he remembered when they get back from their appointment this afternoon.
Post a Comment