Thursday, May 28, 2009

threading the needle



Surprisingly, doing this feels good.

A couple of weeks ago we had a Relief Society enrichment night that included an introduction to yoga. We did not do this pose, but we did do other "easier" poses for us beginners. I was a little surprised that I was not only sweating, but a little out of breath after the "workout."

Also around this time, I mentioned to my friend, Cori, that I wanted my family to join the YMCA for the summer, but the fees were too high. It wouldn't be worth the investment. She said that they had recently lowered their fees, but the website was not up-to-date. So I called. And she was partly right. They were currently running a special where they waived the $100 joining fee. I called on a Monday and the "special" was ending that Friday. So guess what I did on Wednesday? Yes--I went and signed us up for the summer. Are you following?

So last Saturday Paul Ivan needed to be at the Y (not BYU--in Waco "the Y" means the YMCA) at 12pm for a teen strength class so he can have the privilege of using the equipment on his own. We arrived a little early and I was just about to start the little routine I had followed my first two times there, when I noticed the class schedule on the wall. It said that there would be a yoga class at noon. Wow. I had just been introduced to yoga. What a coincidence. So I made the spur-of-the-moment decision to take the hour-and-a-half class.

I liked it. Again, I was a little sweaty towards the end. I wasn't breathing hard this time, but the next day my back was very sore. The picture above is called "threading the needle" and it was probably my favorite. The teacher walked us through each step of how to get my body into that awkward position. I was surprised that I could actually do that. I think this summer I'll scope out when the classes are held, and try to make a couple each week. It isn't really "working out", but it does a body good.

3 comments:

karin said...

Yoga is more of a workout than it seems. I wish I had the time, money but mostly the will power to exercise. Good luck with the classes.

Stamp With Linz said...

Good for you, babe! See how Enrichment seeps into our everyday? I love it!

Anonymous said...

Excuse me Bran, but for years I though Yoga was a girly thing until I attended a session on Isle de Vieques. I could not do all the positions and hurt for several days afterwards. Only women can withstand the pain Yoga holds. Yoga is Latin for PAIN! I just fish now. Love, Paka