Sunday, August 9, 2009

My wife's birthday card

My wife's parents came over for her birthday a couple weeks ago. I watched Brandy open her card and read it to herself. As she was opening her gift and talking to her parents, I reached over and picked up the card.

Her mother wrote something in the card that I have heard her say before but it touched me to read it in a birthday card. She wrote: "I am so proud of the way you live your life. I always said 'I wish you had been my mom and I always really meant that.'"

I can't think of a better compliment her mother could give her.

Brandy's father also wrote in the card. He simply wrote:

Vaya con Dios

Love,

Dad

He has been working in Vieques for the past few months and attending a small Spanish branch each Sunday. He admittedly does not understand much of the spoken words during the services but each Sunday he has sent us wonderful emails titled "What I Learned in Church Today."

The text of those emails has taught our family that you can learn a lot from observing and pondering, which I guess is how my mother-in-law determined that her own daughter possesses the timeless qualities that turn the best women into the best mothers.

Vaya con Dios.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Paul, thanks for publishing the only Spanish phrase I can remember, "Vaya con Dios." It is also my favorite. I thank Jose' for teaching me that. He rides back with me everyday from the Central Processing Center (CPC) to Camp Garcia and teaches me Espanol along the way. Vaya con Dios is correct if I am talking to one person but since I am addressing your family I leave you with Vayan con Dios! Love, Paka