Tuesday, July 31, 2007

She's got troubles.


It all began yesterday. Emma, Isaac, Kye and Sayer were in the backyard playing. Isaac and Kye ran inside the house in a panic. "Emma is crying really bad and I think she pinched her arm." For the first five seconds my thought was "haven't you ever heard of helping your sister?" Then I heard the screaming. With a little haste, I ran toward the back door to assess where the blood might be coming from and how much was being lost. Nothing. No red anywhere. Whew. Next step, calm her down enough to ask her what is wrong. "I pinched my arm." Sure enough a tiny round blood-blister-looking dot on her upper arm. Comfort...a cold compress....some love.....then the whelp started to come up. Then a large red circle forms around the "blood blister". I start asking more questions. Then Isaac confirms that indeed a wasp was flying in the playhouse they were in. This was no pinch. It was her first sting. I administered the Sting-Eze and all is well.


So fast forward to tonight. We got home late from grocery shopping and the girl was hungry. She was eyeing my newly bought bunch of bananas that I had hung on my much-loved banana hanger. She asked so politely if she could have a banana, so how could I refuse? I started the peeling process (because I know she likes to do it "all by herself!"). She took the banana to the table and finished peeling. Like the good girl I taught her to be, she then laid the whole banana on the table and walked the peel over to the trash. Isn't that lovely? Then apparently she got a small itch in her eye. Because she decided to rub it with the same fingers that she just peeled the not-fully-ripe, brand new bananas with. Her eye immediately turned red, she immediately started jumping up and down, and I immediately got a wet rag. Did you know that you can't wash out a 2-year-old's eye? Nope, she was having none of it. So I wet a paper towel and instructed her to wash her eye. The pain subsided and she went on eating. She continued to hold on to the wad of paper towel and occasionally dabbed her eye with it. Then she began to suck on it. Oh, Emma, I've not done a good job teaching you about germs, have I?

8 comments:

karin said...

I LOVE it! She is definitely two!

Anonymous said...

Poor thing had a rough day!

JanelWarner said...

She is so big. Poor girl. I'm glad you have a blog. It sound like you guys are really good.

Wangsgaard said...

I can't believe how big she's gotten. I've never been stung before, but if I ever do, I'll probably scream and cry too.

Anonymous said...

Poor Emma, It's a wonder Rebekah didn't freak out. Rebekah's response was "See why I don't go into the club house". I know Paul wishes he was home so he could comfort Emma, he's such a good big brother.

The Nielsens said...

Emma really did have a rough day. "Mama will you hold me" that is my favorite. You should blog about that it is too cute. I'm sorry Emma had such a rough day.

Anonymous said...

today (8/2/07)Paka came home from work and wanted Emma and Rebekah to know he got stung twice at work today. See Rebekah wasp are even in Puerto Rico

Stamp With Linz said...

Life is rough when you are 2. :)