Sunday, June 14, 2009

cub scout day camp






This is our fourth year being a part of cub scout day camp. Paul Ivan attended for 2 years and this was Isaac's second year. I think he can attend 2 more years. (yikes!) Well, last year I volunteered as a den leader on Tuesday and Thursday. During those days, I noticed they had teen boys and girls helping with the camp and they also had a tot lot for younger siblings.

Can you see my wheels turning?

I came up with a brilliant plan. We would have a great family experience. This year I signed us all up to attend the whole week! (well, not my husband because he has to work...) Isaac attended the camp, I was a den leader, Paul and Rebekah were junior helpers and Emma was in the tot lot. The bonus feature I didn't know about was that because we were full week helpers, it was all free. I didn't have to pay for the tot lot or any t-shirts or hats. Our troop pays for the camp, so even Isaac was free. This looked so good on paper.

But in real life, it wasn't so great. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't fantastic, either. I came home tired every day. I stayed up late every night (making more swaps, celebrating Paul's 13th bday, scout court of honor, laundry, etc.) and got up early every morning. Lack of sleep takes a toll on my attitude. By the end of the week, I just didn't want to do it any more. I wanted to want to do it for Isaac, so I faked it.

It was great being with Isaac and his friends. It was great seeing them experience a fun camp with all the songs, chants, and rituals. Emma had a great time doing crafts and getting to be a part of it all. Paul and Bek enjoyed helping and feeling important. The only thing I'm really mad about is the stupid sock tan line I now have around my ankles!

I asked them all if they wanted to attend next year. They all said, "Yes!" so there is a good chance I'll have to do this again. I'm going to need these next 51 weeks to pump myself up.

No comments: