(please excuse the cell phone picture--I didn't bring my camera this day!)
On Monday, a sister from our ward volunteered with me at cub scout day camp. This sister was very enthusiastic and helped the boys get off on the right foot with chants and songs and lots of spirit. (She made me feel very lame! Of course I am very lame, but I don't like feeling that way!)
At camp, each day they award a spirit stick to the den with the most spirit. On Monday, we didn't win it. On Tuesday, I had a different sister volunteer with me and together we tried to keep up with was started on Monday. We sorta fell short. But I guess the antics of Monday were still on the mind of the camp director, because our den was awarded the spirit stick on Tuesday.
My worst fear come true. I had to then take the stick home, decorate a fifth of it, and return it the next morning. Then we had the "privilege" of carrying the stick around the entire day on Wednesday.
Well, I'm a lame decorator and have little patience for a group of 10 rowdy, excited 8 and 9 year old boys. On Wednesday, I must have heard, "I want to hold the spirit stick next" about 100 times. The boys thought it was something to play with instead of something to be revered. I was so tired of dealing with the spirit stick that I was very glad to give it up during closing ceremonies (of course I had to first deal with the decision of which boy got to bring it up on the stage...). Anyway, if I win it next year I might just decline it.
So, this is a lot of blabbing and complaining just to tell you about what happened to Paul Ivan. I mentioned in the last post that he was a junior helper. His main responsibility was to make sure there was plenty of ice water at all the stations. So he moved around the camp quite a bit. At one point, he passed right by our den and Isaac and his friend were playing around (inappropriately) with the spirit stick and smacked Paul right in the cheek. Paul Ivan just rubbed his face and went on his way.
Later that night, he told me that after the boys hit him with the spirit stick, it took him several minutes to get his cheek skin out of his braces. Ouch. Yuck. Gross.
When he woke up the next morning, he looked like this:


He had to miss the final two days of camp due to the infection. My mom took him to the doc on Thursday morning and he was put on antibiotics. They worked very slowly. It's Sunday, and he's finally looking a lot more normal. I think next year he will stay away from all kids with spirit sticks!
At camp, each day they award a spirit stick to the den with the most spirit. On Monday, we didn't win it. On Tuesday, I had a different sister volunteer with me and together we tried to keep up with was started on Monday. We sorta fell short. But I guess the antics of Monday were still on the mind of the camp director, because our den was awarded the spirit stick on Tuesday.
My worst fear come true. I had to then take the stick home, decorate a fifth of it, and return it the next morning. Then we had the "privilege" of carrying the stick around the entire day on Wednesday.
Well, I'm a lame decorator and have little patience for a group of 10 rowdy, excited 8 and 9 year old boys. On Wednesday, I must have heard, "I want to hold the spirit stick next" about 100 times. The boys thought it was something to play with instead of something to be revered. I was so tired of dealing with the spirit stick that I was very glad to give it up during closing ceremonies (of course I had to first deal with the decision of which boy got to bring it up on the stage...). Anyway, if I win it next year I might just decline it.
So, this is a lot of blabbing and complaining just to tell you about what happened to Paul Ivan. I mentioned in the last post that he was a junior helper. His main responsibility was to make sure there was plenty of ice water at all the stations. So he moved around the camp quite a bit. At one point, he passed right by our den and Isaac and his friend were playing around (inappropriately) with the spirit stick and smacked Paul right in the cheek. Paul Ivan just rubbed his face and went on his way.
Later that night, he told me that after the boys hit him with the spirit stick, it took him several minutes to get his cheek skin out of his braces. Ouch. Yuck. Gross.
When he woke up the next morning, he looked like this:
He had to miss the final two days of camp due to the infection. My mom took him to the doc on Thursday morning and he was put on antibiotics. They worked very slowly. It's Sunday, and he's finally looking a lot more normal. I think next year he will stay away from all kids with spirit sticks!
1 comment:
First of all you are not lame at all, you have lots of spirit. Don't forget that. Second, OUCH! I've been a kid with braces and that sounds painful I'm in awe that he didn't fall on the ground screaming in pain right then. I would have. Third, I miss you.
Post a Comment