Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Strong-willed child

I shared an experience our family had last night with a woman who has an office near mine. Emma begged me to take her Christmas caroling twice last week. Each time I promised her we would go as a family at another time.

Well, last night was the night. The only problem was that Emma didn't want to do it anymore. In fact, she threw a huge fit and refused to get out of the van at our first few stops. After a while she calmed down and participated and had a good time.

When I told the woman this story she told me a story about her sister that purchased a book titled The Strong-willed Child to help her get ideas on how to deal appropriately with one of her headstrong children. She said for her sister the book didn't work so well and she ended up just using it to spank the kid.

I don't know which is worse that book or the wooden spoon my mom chased some of her boys around the house with. I would describe the pain involved with a wooden spoon paddling but Mom never could catch me.

Maybe she should have read that book.

5 comments:

TonyaKuykendall said...

Mom wouldn't have read the book. She would have used it to beam it at us when we misbehaved. She has really good aim when using shoes and remote controls...

Anonymous said...

Mom was pretty quick with the spoon with me, in fact she broke it on me then started stabbing me with the broken end, very much like a jail house brawl.
K R, only initials to hide my true identity bro.

Unknown said...

I don't remember any spoon?It was a hand spanking only.I started trying books like "How to Talk so Your Children will Listen. And How to Listen so Your Children Will Talk."talking and books.You were good kids though. LOVE, MOM.

Anonymous said...

I remember your mom with that spoon and if my memory serves me right. I remember you getting away from her too. So whats up with the Matador posts??? I love those

jeanette said...

My mom had a wooden spoon as well...think they talked about it?