Sunday, January 11, 2009

the future is now

When my husband I and would talk about our future, I remember saying something like, "I guess when all the kids are in school, I'll get my teaching certificate and become a teacher." Honestly, folks, I never really thought that day would come.

I know I've mentioned that I've started working. And I love many things about my job. But as of Thursday night, I've started school, too. When I graduated BYU 11 years ago, I NEVER EVER EVER thought I'd be a student again. Sure, I hoped that I might one day have the opportunity to go to grad school or something, but with little kids around, that never seemed practical. Or needed. But my kids spend their days away at public school, so now it is time for me to live that future we'd always talked about.

And I have to tell you that the future came faster than I thought it would.

And I found out that I have to write a research paper. Why does a 33-year-old mother-of-four soon-to-be math teacher have to write a stinkin' research paper? Perhaps I should let my teacher know that among the reasons I have a MATH degree is the lack of required research papers.

So every Tuesday and Thursday night from now until April 9, you can think of me sitting in my MCC classroom learning the art of teaching. And dreading the fact that I have to write a research paper.

9 comments:

karin said...

We talk like that too and I am sure that in a few short years I will have the same post, but I don't know about the math teacher part. I haven't quite decided what I want to be "when I grow up," probably because I think that it will it is so far away that I don't have to decide. But time keeps going faster.

Good luck with the research paper and class.

Unknown said...

I love writing. Not Math though.The number challenge is not easy. I do think it is wonderful you love math.You will be a good teacher too. Mom B.

TonyaKuykendall said...

What is the topic of your research paper?

Anonymous said...

I am glad I am not the only one that does not like to write research papers. I am taking History this semester and I am not a big History fan. I am sure we will both make it out some way or the other. :) Good Luck!! Jodi

A Day in the Life... said...

Sounds like fun, I'm glad you are able to live your dream...

mistyp said...

Good for you! I need to take classes again to keep my teaching license current...but it hasn't happened, yet. :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations-How exciting and good luck ! I have to agree with Karin,but for me it was our oldest son graduating high school last year and our youngest starting school.Everyone was asking me "what will you do after graduation" I felt like a senior in high school-the pressure ! Time has passed and no decisions have been made,people stop asking out of awkwardness-just like high school.
Robert+Kelly=4boys

Stamp With Linz said...

You'll be great. And if you need help, that part of my brain works much better than the math half. :)

Jeanette said...

Congratulations! It must be nice to live a dream. Good luck with all of your studying. You will be just fine, research paper or not.