Friday, January 23, 2009

I dreamed something similar


About a week before Keith and I flew to Maui, I had a dream that the plane we were on made an emergency landing in the ocean. The landing was going surprisingly well -- better than some runway landings I've experienced -- until Brandy woke me up by calling my name.

While en route to Maui, we had a layover in Los Angeles where we saw footage of the Hudson River landing. It reminded me of my dream, only the dream didn't have such a dramatic ending.

Congratulations to the pilot and crew for a job well done.

P.S. I would have written about this the night it happened but I just couldn't bring myself to fork over $13 for a single night of wireless Internet access at the hotel.

3 comments:

Larry said...

I was quite interested in this particular event. One of my tasks at work recently dealt with bird impacts on some structures that were added to an airplane.

The plane that went down in NY hit a flock of geese as it was climbing up to altitude. Both engines went dead and the aircraft became a glider. Most ditching efforts don't end quite as well as this one.

Credit goes to more than just the pilot for his operation of the aircraft. The designers that made it such that the plane could land in the water played a bigger role in the survival of all on board.

Paul said...

How could I forget to mention the engineers? Thanks for pointing out what many people do not consider, Larry.

Unknown said...

I bet that made it comforting to fly over the sea into Hawaii...eekkkk...Lindsey, still logged in as mom!