Thursday, January 29, 2009

he isn't helping

This morning I had Emma completely dressed in a nice purple outfit that matched really well--even a matching hair bow. Well, she had an accident and had to change her pants and socks (she kept telling me she had to go, but I kept telling her to wait until I was finished with her hair, so I guess it was my fault.) I was going to be late for work, so I ran and got come clean clothes, threw them in the hallway and asked my husband to help clean up the mess and get her dressed.

While I was in my bathroom blowdrying my hair, I heard this:
Dad: Do you have any socks?
Emma: Yes, right here.
Dad: These are green. I'm just letting you know that these really don't match, but if you're okay with that...


Yes, today Emma wore green socks with her purple outfit to school.


And this is why I have a problem with that:

In my textbook, "Becoming a Middle School or High School Teacher in Texas", I came across this suggestion for creating educational equality despite diversity: "Do not tolerate racial slurs or discriminatory practices by students in your class. What is accepted is perpetuated."

That last sentence spells it out: the more my husband accepts green socks with a purple shirt, the more Emma's fashion problems are perpetuated.

**side note: I've recently learned that there is a connection between the boringness of a book and the boringness of its title. (please note the title of my textbook) :)

2 comments:

karin said...

funny.

I am sorry about your book, I guess that isn't one that you can read in bed.

Larry said...

Why would it be a problem to read that book in bed?

Personal color coordination is akin to that of some peoples BLOG colors. I like color, don't get me wrong, but why does every paragraph have to be a different font and color? A lesson in color coordination is needed for a large sector of our society.

KISS -- keep it simple stupid!

For me KISS is the best.

Buy all gray clothing for Emma and you can avoid those difficult color combination problems.

Look at me, I only have BLACK socks (except for the white socks).