If Lorena ISD doesn't hire Brandy Romer as a math teacher in the future it would be a mistake.
Tonight we were sitting in the living room together as a family and Paul Ivan started talking about how he was one of the few students in his class to declare that the cup was half full.
Before we could discuss the subject Brandy got this funny smile on her face and said, "I can prove mathematically that it is half full."
I just knew this was going to be too difficult for the rest of the family to understand. Still, we asked her to teach us. Here is what she said:
Think about the amount of liquid in the cup as a percentage. When the cup is empty, it has 0%; when full, it is 100%. So, a half-empty cup would still be empty (one-half of 0% or 1/2 x 0=0%), but a half-full cup would indeed be half-full (one-half of 100% or 1/2 x 100=50%).
Isn't Brandy awesome?
When I married her she changed the way I looked at the world. She has done it again.
There is no half empty, there is no half empty. Half full is the only logical way to view the world. I love being married to a mathematician.
Friday, September 26, 2008
Mathematical Proof
Posted by
Paul
at
10:03 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Sorry honey, but you're married to a nerd. The mathematician boat left long ago.
But thanks for all the encouragement.
What is a nerd?
A cynic says:
That can't be half full!
A pessimist says:
So what if it is half full, it is only half.
An anal-retentive says:
That's not half that is 48.3%
I agree about the nerdiness. I can show you pictures to prove it. But I can also show you pictures of her with rifles so I better leave the pictures put away lest I fear for my safety.
I can't believe that you would call yourself a nerd Brandy. That is like looking at the cup as half empty, which we both know is not logical.
What is a nerd?
Brandy- I would talk like that all the time if I was a mathematician.
Very cool.
Robert+Kelly=4boys
Way to make me think...at almost midnight...GO BRANDY!!!
Post a Comment