Saturday, September 13, 2008

Storm Update

In an earlier post today I mentioned I would give an update about Hurricane Ike as it moved inland and began to break up. We're a three hour drive from the coast, so by the time it got here it was far from a hurricane.

Thank goodness we haven't cut the lawn in the backyard recently. It absorbed some of the wind and prevented Paul Ivan from being blown away.


Actually, the storm was not bad at all here. In fact, if I hadn't watched, read and contributed to media reports, I would have just thought it was a windy day with a little bit of rain here.


So, how do I explain Paul seemingly being carried away by the wind? Middle school -- I think this little trick is something he considers part of his education.

5 comments:

Larry said...

When I was traveling across Wyoming with the family one year I noticed that everyone on the side of the road in Laramie had skinned faces. I was curious as to what happened and asked at the service station what happened. The attendant informed me that the wind quit blowing.

In that part of the country they have a special wind meter. They hang a logging chain on a telephone pole. If you can hear the chain rattling then it is not very windy.

Good trick Paul Ivan. It sure had me thinking that Lorena saw much more of the bad weather than here in Hewitt.

Kent said...

Great trick, Paul Ivan. You could have convinced me! Your video is a nice touch.

Here in Colorado, we've gotten some moisture, but no wind. Today, the mountain peaks are white with snow.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Garza Family said...

Awesome!

Anonymous said...

That is some trick Paul Ivan. I was puzzled at how you got sideways on that pole. Really neat to see the video. I could never do that. You have to be strong.
Love, Grandma B.