Sunday, September 21, 2008

A whole lotta hairpray

This morning I spoke in the Gatesville Branch. I attend church there once a month, so I am familiar with many of the church members there.

One of the people who regularly attends is Sister Gaddy, a black woman. I first became aware of her several months ago on a Sunday when during a talk she mentioned that in addition to the being grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ she was proud of her hair.

This photo above is not Sister Gaddy. It is a woman who has a somewhat similar hairstyle but it is easily a few steps down on the hair pole. When Sister Gaddy does her hair, it is stop-and-look type of fancy.

Well, this morning when I got to church, sat on the stand, and read the bulletin, I was happy to see Sister Gaddy was the speaker before me.

I laughed to myself when she stood to speak. I noticed her hair was again looking spectacular. Brandy will tell you that it takes a lot for me to notice such things. There have been times where I have not noticed when Brandy was wearing earrings or makeup.

I am generally not one of those speakers who brings up comments from earlier speakers. Today was different. The youth speaker was very good and the branch president shared a few comments that dovetailed with mine.

I ended my introductory comments with a few words about Sister Gaddy.

"I love it when she speaks," I said "because not only are her words wise and measured but her hair always looks great."

The congregation erupted in laughter and I turned around to look at Sister Gaddy. It looked to me like she raised her hand -- like yep, that's me. On the way home I was talking with Rebekah about it and she told me that Sister Gaddy was actually raising the roof, which is even more her personality.

Rebekah told me that later in primary a girl asked Sister Gaddy, "how do you get your hair like that?"

Rebekah said Sister Gaddy was animated when she said, "A whooole lotta hairspray."

5 comments:

Larry said...

I was driving on US 6 one day and noticed a woman at the side of the road by her car crying. I stopped to see what was the matter. She indicated that she had run over a bunny and was distraught. Another man stopped and listened to our conversation. He said, "I'll be right back", and retrieved a can from his pickup. He came up the dead rabbit and and sprayed it from top to bottom. The rabbit jumped to its feet and began to hop away. It stopped and raised up on its hind feet and waved. It turned and hopped away again and repeated the perch on its hind feet and waved.

I said to the man, "Let me see that can". He handed me the can of Hare Spray. It had written on the label.

Adds new life to hair and adds a permanent wave.

Paul said...

I knew right where you were going from the start with this comment and I still enjoyed it tremendously.

Anonymous said...

I had no clue where he was going but loved it.

Anonymous said...

After reading Larry's response I loved it so much I forgot what you wrote about originally.

Garza Family said...

Duh dad "raising the roof" ha ha ha...Rebekah knows. Good Story! I like how you commented her on hair in front of the congregation. =)