I was talking to a successful retired couple after sacrament meeting today and they related an experience they had early on in their marriage.
The wife was in the late term of pregnancy with their first child and accidentally paid the doctor a double payment. After she paid rent they had no money for food and payday was an entire week away.
All they had to survive on was two small packages of frozen vegetables. The wife told me how she took several glass soda bottles into the store to be redeemed for cash. She got 22 cents, enough for a small package of pinto beans.
The beans were absolutely needed for them to make it through the week. The cashier rang up the beans and asked for 25 cents. The price had gone up.
Standing at the register and looking very pregnant she began to cry and said, "it was 22-cents last week."
A kind woman standing in line behind her gave her three cents and the husband and wife survived the week living on pinto beans.

3 comments:
When Jeanette and I were in college we were poor. There were a couple times that we were at the point of not having anything to eat. Once we were invited to another couples home when we would have gone hungry.
I guess pinto beans will give you the energy you need for a week.
I really admire people who do this and fight to make it work with every last penny they have. I, on the other hand have the bad habit of spending what I don't and shouldn't have and then years later...I suffer. I need to be more like this woman and live off all the canned foods mom just picked up from Mark's house...that were from when Keith moved out.
Being raised by a single mom with four kids-I remember the days of chicken pot pies for dinner each night with powered milk !Dinner was about sitting together at a table-that was important.
I can't eat one to this day but I have a lot of funny memories of table talk.
Robert&Kelly+4boys
I just caught up on your posts-busy week with my kids.
Post a Comment