Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My Son is Famous


That's what he thinks. He really does. I'm not kidding.

I came home from work yesterday and handed Isaac the comics from the Sunday newspaper -- a weekly tradition we started more than a year ago. He was excited. Then I handed him the Lifestyle Page out of the Sunday paper that had an article about him in it and he was beside himself.

You may view the article by clicking here.

The comic inspired by Isaac will be in this Sunday's paper but to the 50 or so people who read this blog (that may be an inflated number), you get a sneak peak. I use it with permission from the author, Brian Crane.

By the way, thank you Brian. This has been really fun for our family. We haven't had the original strip you mailed to us framed yet, but we do know it will soon be hanging in Isaac's room.
I didn't realize the article about Isaac would be printed in the Telegram last Sunday. I live outside the circulation area and unless a story is online I am not able to read it until I get to work.

On Monday, I got to work and went straight to a commissioners court meeting. When I walked in a few minutes early the county attorney said, "I didn't know you were a junior."

Then the county clerk commented on how much she enjoyed the article. That's how I found out it had printed.

The county attorney told me he liked the Pickles comic strip and asked why the Telegram didn't carry it. I wish it did, I told him, but that decision is not mine to make.

After the meeting I was talking to the county judge when he pulled out a copy of the article he brought from home. I took it into a quiet corner of the courthouse and read it to myself, nearly laughing out loud at one point. It would have been an inappropriate time for a proud parent laugh, so I muted my response.

The judge later spoke about the article during the workshop with most of the top county officials present. When I got back to the office I had an email response waiting for me from a sheriff official. I had requested information from him late last Friday afternoon, and he hadn't been able to get the information to me until Monday morning. In the text of his e-mail message, he mentioned the article and how much he enjoyed it.

Later I got a phone call from an official with the Belton school district, whom I have worked closely with in the past. She laughed as she told me about discovering the article while reading the Sunday morning paper.

Isaac brought the article to school today to show his teachers and friends. If that boy was a cartoon character it would be appropriate to draw him with a REALLY BIG head right now.

Instead he is just an eight-year-old boy who is in the midst of one of the most exciting experiences of his life -- something he will remember forever.

Thanks again, Brian.

6 comments:

TonyaKuykendall said...

I really enjoyed it last night when he was getting his haircut and I mentioned to him how cool it was that he was in the paper at the age of 8 where I had to wait until I was 13 to get into the paper and his response was "well, everybody gets their turn." So funny. We love you Isaac. You keep us smiling.

Larry said...

Being famous is better than being infamous. Way to go Romer clan.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what fame. Nice to be in the news Isaac.Great fub.
Love Ya, Grandma B.

Stamp With Linz said...

That is SO cool- love it. :)

Craig said...

I can't get over how cool that is. And how funny the cartoon turned out to be.

Garza Family said...

That's really neat and amazing as to how all of this went down. I showed my the cartoon of mom's and she's like "I use to read that comic all the time" I never really knew about it until my Texas visit in March. Pretty Neat to say the least.