Sunday, April 6, 2008

Back on track...

Wow, after the bike ride and maze posts, I think I'll try to get the right spirit back on this blog. Please forgive my husband's boyish humor. We don't always agree on what is funny. I, personally, don't like being scared.

Anyway, what a great General Conference. It's been so long since a solemn assembly for a new prophet, I had forgotten about the sustaining in the separate quorums/groups. How humbling was that!? I watched President Monson's face as each individual group of priesthood holders, Relief Society, and young women stood. He looked overwhelmed. It's one thing to see a mass of people raise their hand in sustaining, and then it is over. But to have each group, one at a time, over and over, pledge their sustaining vote for your calling has to be humbling, but I hope eventually strengthening. WOW! I loved it.

I took very few notes, but my most notable first impressions were these:

Elder Russell M. Nelson said that salvation is an individual matter, exaltation is a family matter. Hmmm...that's interesting. More thought on my part is needed.

He also said that when giving children correction, give it quietly, privately, calmly and lovingly with an increase of love afterward. Okay--I don't always do this. Perhaps I'll start.

Cheryl Lant asked if our family traditions are making it easier for our children to follow the prophet. Boy, I hope so. I'll be analyzing this one for a while.

Elder L. Tom Perry said that enduring to the end is not a do-it-yourself project. That made me chuckle. I'll re-read his talk for sure when I get the Ensign.

Elder Boyd K. Packer gave an excellent explanation about the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and the keys of the priesthood. He carried a powerful testimony of the truthfulness of what he was saying.

Elder Jeffrey R. Holland spoke so clearly and powerfully as to the need for and reality of continued revelation. When I was "investigating" the church, modern-day, continuing revelation was one point that I never questioned. I knew that it must be true. And after this talk, I know now more than ever.

When has Elder Bednar given a "bad" talk? Oh, ya, never. So today he said that faith always leads to righteous action. I'm wondering about my faith. How do I turn my faith into action? Since faith without works is dead, how much of my faith died because I didn't act? Probably too much.

In reference to our praying for the missionaries to be led to those people prepared to accept the gospel, Elder Bednar said that missionaries are full-time teachers, and we (the members) are full-time finders. Don't pray for the missionaries to do our work. Ouch! We'll have to do some re-vamping of the wording of our family prayers.

And...Elder Ballard. I cried. That's all I'll say. Tears of sadness, humility, and gratitude.

So.....what was your favorite part? This was by no means the whole of my thoughts, but some thoughts are too personal to put into words (else the explanations would be too long). But thank you for letting me review my thoughts and feelings of the past two days. It's done me some good.

And remember, if you missed conference, it's available on the Internet right now. (http://www.lds.org/)

4 comments:

Larry said...

It must be time for spring cleaning. I see you have changed your template and color scheme.

I enjoyed conference too.

I am impressed that you could remember that much without any notes. Nothing new, really. There were many reminders of what we should be doing. Emphasis on doing.

My favorite was from the Priesthood Session. President Monson told a couple anecdotal stories. I have always enjoyed his anecdotes. I still want to have a video of him wiggling his ears.

Brandy said...

Actually Brother Vance, everything I wrote was from my notes. See, I didn't take very many.

Anonymous said...

I hope I can always remember to correct my son in such a manner as said. I didn't catch as much as I'd liked to have, but I will have to read it and possibly listen to it online tonight...thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. Love you!

Anonymous said...

I also wanted to say I like the cute new page!!!!