Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Got the Word Out

Have you followed the developments at the FLDS Church's YFZ Ranch this week?


On Monday the judge hearing the case suggested that it might be helpful to have members of the Mormon Church in San Angelo help supervise prayer services for the group. The suggestion, as you might expect, caught the stake president in the area a little -- okay, a lot -- off guard. An article about the situation was posted to the Deseret News Web site and is available here.

Today, I was caught off guard . The Waco Tribune learned this morning that some of the children from the ranch would be shipped here to Waco to stay at the Methodist Children's Home. Evidently an editor at the paper heard about the judge's suggestion and assigned a reporter to see if Mormons in Waco would be praying with this group once they arrived.

I was released as the Killeen Stake's public relations director about two months ago, but I did not call up the Trib or any other media outlet and let them know about the change. I guess it was natural for the reporter to call me.

It was a short call. Luckily, I read the article last night and had some context. I referred the reporter to the Desnews Web site and explained as best I could the information it contained. I also gave her contact information for the Killeen Stake President and said he was the best person to contact about the matter.

After I got off the phone, I thought about the last post on our blog and how it would be a good resource for a reporter stepping blindly into such a story. I sent her the link.

Here is the text of my e-mail:

As you work to piece your story together you may find the link below helpful. The video clip is a worldwide leader of the church addressing misconceptions that have been drawn by media in the wake of the FLDS raid.

The church has been aggressive in trying to get the message out about how there
really is no connection between the denominations. This judge's request is interesting because Mormons in general stand eager to serve in the community. The only reason I could see in not helping the state out with this request is that the public could draw incorrect conclusions and link the denominations.

If asked, I would be happy to help in such a situation. People draw all kinds of conclusions on their own. I don't think it is productive to dwell on what others might think or say. The people who really make a difference in this world are the ones who see a need and give of their time, talents and energy to meet it.

I hope that is the response of the members of the Mormon Church in San Angelo.

She replied back and thanked me for pointing her to the Desnews article. She said the paper would not be doing a local story that included that element because there was not local story.

When I got home I went to the Desnews site and found the following statement, some of which I include here:

In a statement to the Deseret News, LDS Church spokesman Scott Trotter said they
had only been made aware of it through news reports and have "no clear
understanding of what, if anything, we are being invited to do."

"It would be erroneous to base any request for assistance from members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on the basis that our beliefs and practices are close to those of this polygamous group because they are not," Trotter said.

"Neither would such a request necessarily be fair to those of this polygamous community, which long ago chose a different path from ours. In fact, many in these isolated communities view us with some hostility as part of the outside world they have rejected."

Trotter makes some good points. And I think the Trib made a good decision today. I can't wait to hear what the stake president has to say about all this tomorrow.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know, if you aren't a "member" of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints this whole blog can be a bit confusing to say the least. I just asked Jamie "we don't do prayer services do we?" What church does? I'm sure there are churches out there that do, and more power to them. I think there needs to be prayer for 1. the children, 2. the women who have lost thier children, 3. those working to figure out what's best for the children and 4. those reporting on what's happened/happening!

mistyp said...

It seems like quite the mess to me! Hope they get things solved soon! The public definitely doesn't understand the difference between the churches... It's interesting to hear all the news reports each day.