Tuesday, April 8, 2008

A Lesson From Y Mountain



In July 2005, we traveled to Utah for vacation. One of the highlights of the trip was when we climbed Y Mountain as a family (Brandy had to stay back with Emma because she was too young).

It was a grueling hike for me and I don't think I would have made it without the kids or trail markers along the way. It felt great to reach the Y together.

As we sat at our destination it made me grateful that we had set such a lofty goal. It was difficult to achieve and about halfway up the mountain I seriously wanted to give up.

But the markers along the way gave me hope that I was headed in the right direction and getting closer to our goal, plus I didn't want to let the kids down.

To me the hike ended up being much more than just a hike. It served as a powerful analogy of the journey of a life well-lived and the reward that can only be achieved by reaching the top of the mountain.

4 comments:

Larry said...

Top of the mountain? The Y is only a part of the way up. It is interesting to see the Y up close and personal, because the stem is much longer than the V on top of the stem in order to make the perspective look right from down in the valley.

I grew up in a town that had a letter on a hill. The M. The M stood for Manassa. We used to go visit the M once a year to whitewash it. The face of the M was just plain old rocks that were painted white. It was a big task to whitewash the M. I wonder if they still do it.

Jeanette said...

Brandy was too young? I never climbed "Y" mountain. I'm probably too old to now. I like the analogy of life and going to higher ground to achieve the best view. Thanks for helping me enjoy my journey.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Larry, top of the Mountain??

Anonymous said...

Are you running out of things to write about? It's been 4, going on 5 days since you've posted... =)