Monday, April 28, 2008

Bad things happen to good people...


I'm a good person, right?

Sometimes I learn lessons the hard way. Okay, most of the time. Here's a few I learned this week:

*You are supposed to get a tetanus shot every ten years. I don't remember my mom telling me this when I grew up and moved away. I thought she was supposed to get me all my shots. Anyway, in order to volunteer at Isaac's scout camp this summer, I have to be "current" on all my shots. Like a good mom, I marched myself into my doc's office and took it in the arm. No big deal until the next day. I vacuumed. I happen to be a switch hitter when it comes to vacuuming. Well, bad mistake. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. My arm ached all evening long. A bad kind of internal-bone aching. Not good.

*Eighty pounds of baked potatoes is plenty to feed 30 people. For a week! As my husband mentioned, the big stake event turned into an intimate gathering because of the weather. I left about 70 potatoes with the family hosting the party, but I still left there with about 60 potatoes. We've had a delicious potato soup my hubby made, funeral potatoes, and fried potatoes. Got any more suggestions? We have at least 20 more to eat. We're having potato/bacon/egg skillet breakfast in the morning. After all, it's TAKS day!

*There are about 145 homes in my subdivision. Early voting began today and with my husband's political aspirations, I thought I'd help him out and deliver fliers to all the homes in our neighborhood. Other than a newspaper article (in the free Lorena Leader bi-weekly newspaper), we've done nothing else to help get him elected. He's really busy, so with the time quickly approaching, I thought I'd research the "rules" of campaigning. After over an hour of reading a bunch of stuff that made little-to-no sense, I emailed the city secretary to have her help me locate the "rules." After all this trouble (I'm sparing you a lot of the details) I read something to the effect that if I'm not spending more than $500 to produce the fliers, I don't have to have any "paid for by the committee to elect..." statement on my flier. Ya, you guessed it. I didn't spend $500 at Kinko's to copy my flier. Actually it was free because I had a coupon. But that's not even the tough part. I made 100 fliers, coerced the kids into walking with me, and we taped a flier to every doorknob in our neighborhood. Until we ran out. Ughh.... It turns out I was about 45 short. So I printed off the rest from my printer (we don't live very close to a print shop), and delivered the rest today. So far, one elderly man thought having four kids was a lot, so he will vote for Paul, and one lady didn't even know there were elections. Oh well.... (oh, and some eighth graders saw us all walking, and asked what we were selling. I noticed Paul Ivan (a sixth grader) walk a little faster and ahead of the rest of us, and he just answered, "my dad is running for city council." At that moment, I wish I hadn't asked Paul to come along. Poor kid doesn't need us ruining his school rep. I'll try to keep this in mind for the future.)

I think I had one more to share, but I think I'll refrain from racking my brain so maybe, just maybe, if I do remember it, I'll have something to post about in the next couple of days.

You're right, probably not.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What to do with all those potatoes. Well, pass them out with the fliers.Just kidding.
Mash them up and freeze them in tupperware.Have instant microwaved potatoes for dinner somenights.
Good luck in the council race Paul.I like you best.
Love, Mom

Kari said...

Good luck with the election! I remember helping Mike Flynn when he was running for something. D.A., maybe?

Kari said...

Good luck with the election! I remember helping Mike Flynn when he was running for something. D.A., maybe?