Sunday, April 13, 2008

Shoulder Pain and The Sins of Youth

In high school I played baseball. During one game I stole second base and and felt something unusual in my right shoulder. It didn't hurt bad but I felt it pop out and then right back in on its own. Since the pain did not continue I stayed in the game -- I didn't even tell a coach.

When we took the field the next inning I tried to throw a baseball and felt serious pain. I couldn't even lift my arm above my head.

I never imagined that the consequences from that day would linger for years.

I was back out on the field in a matter of weeks. My first game back I tried to throw out a runner at home from left field and as I was releasing the ball my shoulder slipped out of the socket and then right back in. The only pain from this was the pain of embarrassment when the throw went 30 feet over the catcher's head.

Another time I tried to stop a football player from beating up another student and as I struggled to hold him back it again popped out and back in.

Again, it didn't hurt much or for long, so I didn't think much about it.

It has now been more than 20 years since the injury. For a long time the consequences were minor and inconsequential. Recently, however, things have changed.

I noticed a few years ago that I can hardly throw without pain. I have adapted and now use a short arm technique when I play catch with my kids.

It has now started to influence my sleeping habits. I prefer to sleep with my arm under my head but now when I do so I can feel the shoulder loose in its socket. I have also endured a few days where the shoulder ached and the only thing that helped it was to not use it.

The shoulder made me think today about how it is an appropriate metaphor for the sins of youth.

The sins of youth can be subtle. Their sting is felt immediately but it can be easily ignored.

If a young person does not rid themselves of their sins, they will linger and years later the consequences will be much more severe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OUCH,DO YOU KNOW IF IT IS THE ROTOR CUP OR WHAT IS GOING ON THERE?
MOM

Anonymous said...

Good lesson there...
I like to sleep the same way and have had bursitis (sp) and let me tell you, that was painful!