Monday, June 23, 2008

5 am


Well, he's off.

A privilege of turning 12 is that you can attend scout camp. I'm not so sure it's a privilege when it's the last week of June in Texas, but we'll just pretend it is.

Paul left this morning at 5:15am to meet the other boys and leaders for a week-long camping trip. Man, he took a lot of stuff. Since it is his first time, he took everything on the "suggested" list. We'll know better next year.

One of the cool things about this trip is that Paul is the youngest of his close church friends, so all of them are going this year. He's very excited to spend the week with his best friends. I'm very excited at the possibility of him completing lots of merit badges in one short week! Yee-haw. I get so bothered when he starts a merit badge and still hasn't finished it months later. I'm learning to let it go.

We'll miss Paul this week. It's comforting to know he's just down the highway a few miles. I hope he can stay cool in this hot weather. And I hope he puts on the bug spray, and re-applies sunscreen, and drinks lots of water. Maybe I should go check on him.

Just kidding. (but you know if I didn't five other kids at home, I would!)

But seriously, he did forget his pillow.

5 comments:

Larry said...

After a week without a pillow he will either learn to do without a pillow in the future or learn to take it on the next outing. Time will tell.

Eric was up and ready early this morning. Last night I asked him if he had a certain item. He said he did not. I told him to check his checklist. Later I asked if he had another item. He did not. I told him to check his checklist.

He came back for his wallet.

Anonymous said...

I remember when his Dad went to Scout Camp.
Have fun Paul. Grandma B.

Kari said...

Ah,the joys of unfinished merit badges! And he's only the first! We totally understand and only two boys down, two more to go for us!

Garza Family said...

Yay, how exciting!

Larry said...

Does Paul now remember to take a pillow?