Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Wristwatch

At church today in Gatesville a missionary announced that it was his last Sunday in the branch because he was being transferred on Wednesday to Mineral Wells.

When services were over, I walked over to the missionary to wish him well in his new area. Before I could speak with him a member of the branch approached him and asked the missionary if he had gotten his watch fixed yet.

The missionary told him that he was going to have to purchase a new watch.

The man grabbed the missionary's elbow, pulled him in closer to him and gently said he had a watch he wanted him to have. I thought it was a kind gesture and immediately pictured in my mind the missionary visiting this man for a final time and picking up the watch.

Boy, was I wrong. The man lifted up his shirt sleeve and took his watch off and handed it to the young elder. The missionary was stunned and started to say that he couldn't take the man's watch.

The man silenced the missionary when he simply said, "the Lord has been so good to me and I want you to have it."

I left without wishing the elder well in his new area. Somehow I knew he didn't really need my words.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is such a neat story. That man gave his watch. He recieved warmth in his heart that more than pays for a watch.
The gift of giving.

Love, Mom B

Anonymous said...

You love to hear stuff like this.