It shocked my wife's parents when I asked them for her hand in marriage but I didn't care because it cured the worst case of anxiety I have ever had in my life.
Actually, for a short time my anxiety increased because her mother looked so upset that had she been holding a weapon I would have been fearing for my life. Her father turned green and for a time it looked like we might lose him.
After they had recovered a bit, we went out to eat at a Chinese restaurant and I pushed food around on a plate while we talked about the future.
At one point Frank turned serious -- we were already having a serious conversation, he turned more serious -- and said he had a request. He wanted Brandy to finish the work to earn her college degree and insisted that he be the one to pay for it.
I should have stood up right there and hugged him on the spot.
But when he made his request, I was so shocked it paralyzed me. We assured him that we would make good on his request. We did and he and Faye did as they promised.
This was just his first good deed in a string of years of extremely kind deeds.
Frank is out of town on business and won't be around for Father's Day. I want him to know, however, that he has helped make me a better man and our family a better family.
Happy Father's Day, Frank.
2 comments:
You and Brandy kept your word to finish your goal at BYU. Mom's and my promise to pay for it was the easy part. Just for the record, that is a 3,418KG NET WT High Explosive Iraqi Bomb I am pretending to ride like Slim Pickens in Dr. Stranglove. No worries, it is not fuzed. I wanted to bring that bomb home, but coalition forces said no. :( So, I blew it up. Plz know I leave Shemya Island Wednesday but the Russians are acting badly, I may be back sooner than I want. Why can't we all just get along?
A few of those casings and you could make a fun amusement ride for the back yard. (defused of course!)
Post a Comment