Raise your hand if you've ever seen me in a bathing suit.
Exactly.
I didn't even own one until 2 summers ago. And I've only put it on about twice since then.
But yesterday evening after dinner, the kids asked if they could go back outside and swim. This was a little unusual, but I said, "sure." Then I cleaned for a few minutes and sat down at the computer to just browse the internet. The thought entered my mind, "go surprise the kids and swim with them."
So I did.
We were having a good ol' time for about half an hour when all of a sudden out of the corner of my eye, I see a man burst through our front gate. I turned my head around and saw a strange man running through my backyard chasing a cow. Yes, a cow. In my backyard.
A second man quickly followed, and then a uniformed police officer. A few minutes later another uniformed officer arrived, then more men. Then neighborhood kids were gathering at my fence. Then neighborhood adults. There must have been 20 people. And five of them are running around my backyard chasing a cow.
And remember...I'm in the pool with the kids!
We were held hostage for about an hour. I could see in my neighbor's windows that the police car lights were flashing in front of our house. I could also see many cars stop and get a peek at what might be going on. My one big thought was that my husband would come home and see the commotion in the front of the house and really worry that something bad had happened.
It took a long while, and several different attempts by several different men to lasso the scared cow. At one point the cow even ran into our house. See, earlier Emma had left the pool to go to the bathroom and when she returned, she left the door open. So the cow walked right in. I could tell the men were hesitant to just walk in my house, but seeing as I'm yelling from the pool, "he's in our house," I'm sure they felt it was okay to get him out.
After they finally lassoed the cow, they tied him to our basketball standard. After the cow calmed down, we were given the okay to leave the pool. Every bit of pride in my body screamed, "I'm not getting out with all these people here!" But it was almost 9pm, dark, and getting chilly. Emma was shivering. So I took a deep breath, grabbed the ladder and got out of the pool. Then I high-tailed it into the house and took a quick shower.
It took a while, but the men finally coaxed the cow out our back fence and the ordeal was over. I finally got the kids calmed down and the phone rang. It was my husband. The first thing he said to me was, "where have you been?" Boy, did I have a story to tell him.
I wish I had some pictures to share. Maybe I can track down those kids who were taking pictures with their cell phones and ask them to email me some.
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
our evening swim
Posted by
Brandy
at
9:18 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
That is CRAZY! Where did a cow come from? I would not have gotten out of the pool either. I probably can count on one hand how many times I have seen my own mom in a swim suit, growing up I just thought moms didn't swim anymore.
Thanks for the GREAT laugh today. That is the funniest thing ever.
Wow! That is a story your kids will remember and tell their kids.
Oh no! Much to scarey and interesting. I do hope you get a photo. A picture is worth a thousand words you know.
There is nothing like an invasion by those who are not invited. Jeanette and I have had several instances where people who were not invited came.
We were working out in in our raised garden beds (in Littleton) when a young man came running through the corner of the yard, jumped the fence and headed across the gully behind our house. Soon the police came running. He had robbed a store at Crossroads Mall.
Another time we were in our living room resting when we heard a car accelerate, brake hard, thump onto a pedestrian bridge across the gully, and again accelerate on the other side of the gully.
The police came to investigate. I calculated that he must have been going 60 when he started braking.
The worst was when we lived in Denver and came home to have burglars in our home.
But we have never had a cow in our house, a skunk, yes, but never a cow.
YOur life is soo much more interesting than mine -I have had cows in my garden, but never in my house, though I can imagine if I put my suit on something similar would happen... Exactly why my suit does not go on very often either!!!
In the previous post Paul is talking about picturing things, well this was not hard to picture & very funny- I can just see your face (because mine would be the same) the whole time. I would be thinking, "Okay, like I've worn this suit twice because I hate swimming and now everyone and their dog- AND COW- are here to witness me in this suit. Perfection." Just hilarious, babe. One to write in history pages!
Cow! What a wild thing to happen. Where did that cow come from?
Life sure is interesting at your house.
Mom B.
So did the cow leave any cow pies in the kitchen?
Post a Comment