Saturday, June 14, 2008

Civics 101


I don't reflect back on my high school days too often, but yesterday I had an experience that brought me back to a discussion from my civics class during my senior year. At the time I remember thinking that the discussion was interesting but it would never apply to me.

We were discussing decisions made by elected officials. The teacher asked whether officials should make decisions based upon their consciences or upon what they think the electorate would want.

The teacher was skilled at his profession. He stoked the fire, played up controversy and brought out passion from people who supported each position.

Anyway, I thought about this day in class from nearly 20 years ago, because item number five on the city council agenda this month is a discussion about a possible petition requesting an election to authorize alcoholic beverage sales within the city limits of Lorena.

So, if you are interested in continuing a 20-year old conversation, please chime in about whether it is better to vote your conscience or what you think the people who elected you would want?

By the way, I am not sure what the people who elected me would want me to do in this situation.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I SAY WHY MESS WITH A GOOD THING. A CLEANER CITY IS GOOD FOR THE PEOPLE. I CAN'T HELP BUT THINK OF THE DRUNKEN DRIVERS. AND IT HAPPENS.ALCOHOL HAS NO GOOD POINTS IN MY BOOK. MOM

Anonymous said...

Just think of the 10s of dollars Lorena would make on the sale of Alcoholic beverages and the 100s of under-aged kids who would see the sale and purchase of alcohol as normal everyday life in their city. The 'not-in-my-back-yard' policy works for more than toxic waste dumping or the building of prisons. Vote your heart!

Shawnie said...

I think when people vote, they choose someone who has values they agree with, so they trust him to vote his conscience. In effect, voting your conscience is the will of the electorate. Which explains why the American electorate does and should care about the values of their elected officials.

Larry said...

How did the vote go?