As I've mentioned before, it was Paul Ivan's birthday last week. We had a little family party for him. On Friday, he had some close friends over for swimming and pizza. He's twelve now, so I didn't take any pictures of his friends. He's not like Isaac--mom's not as cool as she once was.
Anyway, this was a milestone birthday. In the church, a boy can be ordained a deacon in the Aaronic priesthood when he turns twelve. Paul decided he wanted to do that. So on Sunday, Father's Day, we got up extra early for a big breakfast for dad, then headed to church a half-hour early. And there it happened. In a moment, with just a few short words, my husband conferred the priesthood to our son. Paul Ivan received a nice blessing, and then we headed into the chapel.
And it was there that Paul Ivan learned an important lesson: it's a lot harder to pass the sacrament than it looks. His best friend and Deacon's Quorum President, H (it's short for Heath), had promised to teach him all the ins-and-outs. Well, H got sick late Saturday night and couldn't be there. Guess you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket.
A busy teacher, seeing my poor lost son, came over and quickly explained the ropes. It all went fine, but as in all things--practice makes perfect.
Since Paul is our oldest son, I didn't know what to expect when he received the priesthood. I hoped that it would strengthen him as a person, and in turn it would strengthen him as a son and brother. Maybe it would even improve the rivalry he has with his oldest sister. Well, my bubble burst when on Sunday night I heard Rebekah yell, "Paul, get you and your priesthood out of my room!"
I guess some things will never change.
5 comments:
I am laughing so hard! Rebekah's outburst to Paul Ivan is hilarious.
Paul Ivan, Ask Paul your Dad how he felt about passing the sacrament when he was twelve. Paul Ivan was brave. And had a great teacher to see and come to the rescue.Thank him for me. I felt everything was going to go well. His Dad is there to help.
Love, grandma B.
I can imagine it's nervewracking to pass the sacrament! And to bless it... Thank goodness we just get to deal with the screaming kids during the sacrament, right? :) That is a pretty funny comment from Rebekah!
I love it, especially Bek's comment!
I luv you paul. Aunt Brandy pleasse tell paul I luv him...........
sinceraly toriromer
Post a Comment