Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Balancing Act

While serving a mission on Grenada, I learned how important it is to live a balanced life. I really like this picture because if you just pay attention to the angle of the buckets it looks like I am the one who is adept at balancing.

The true story is this woman has a bucket full of water on her head. I placed an empty bucket on my head and then shouted for my companion to HURRY and take the picture before it fell off.

Notice the different postures. The woman is relaxed with her spine more or less in a straight line. My smile hides it a bit, but my posture is tense. My spine was moving wherever I thought the bucket dictated it should move.

Like carrying a bucket on your head, a balanced life takes practice. Minor, natural adjustments may be made as one moves forward. This is the most efficient way to carry a bucket on your head and get to your destination. With enough small and simple adjustments, carrying a bucket and walking at the same time can become intuitive and the balancing act seems like something you have always been adept at doing.

Overreacting to the fluctuations a bucket makes, however, may bring failure. Trust me, I know.

I think the balancing act of life is best accomplished on a straight and narrow path and it's the small and simple things that keep us on the path and bring us back to the path. The trick is to find the path before you kick the bucket.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like your post. Your insight is so true.I feel like I should call you Oh Master and you call me Grasshopper. I always learn so much from you. L/Faye

Larry said...

I had a coworker (when I lived in Denver) ask me a question one day about something moral. He said that he did not have any of the answers. I told him that I had all the answers and knew where he could find them. He discovered that I was talking about religion and said he did not want to go there.

Anonymous said...

It's the one less traveled. You know that narrow one over there.... But when you do find it everything just flows so much nicer.

Garza Family said...

I love the way you are able to find a picture and use it as a "lesson".

At first glace, you look a little like Brandon. =)