Notice the title for this matador spotlight is just a last name. That is how most everybody I associated with in high school addressed Kelly Moyles. It was common for boys to call each other by last name only. Niccum, Morton, Joiner, Braswell and Andrews. On any given day on campus you could hear one of those last names shouted out and you knew who the shouter was trying to address -- except for Joiner because Tim and Jim were twins.
I only remember two girls, however, who most of the time had the distinction of being addressed by last name only: Resler and Moyles. Maybe it was a matter of convenience. They were good friends and had the same first name.
During my formative years from toddler to kindergartendom, I actually lived on the same street as Moyles, though I have no real memories of hanging out with her until my senior year in high school. We had a science class together and sat near each other.
I think I have mentioned before that in high school I worked really hard to ensure that my grades where of such a quality that after graduation I would only be accepted by community colleges. The following explanation is just one of many examples I could give as to how I accomplished such an average feat.
I remember several times walking into science class and telling Moyles that I just had a feeling I would be called into the office and would not be back to class that day. She was astounded at my unusual power to predict events when on multiple occasions a call came in and I was excused from class. I have always had trouble concealing secrets. Later, to her surprise, I explained to her that I was not telepathic.
Todd Braswell was a TA for ceramics class during the same class period. The ceramics teacher did not care if he left early. Todd somehow found out the number to my science classroom and would disguise his voice and tell the teacher I was needed in the office. We would then meet up and immediately feel liberated from our current situation, although I eventually had to serve two years at a community college for the crime of not taking my education seriously. (This is not a knock on community colleges. The three I went to were great and helped me tremendously.)
When Braswell would check me out of class, I felt a lot of satisfaction telling Moyles goodbye and seeing the dread in her eyes that she had to stay and learn more about British Thermal Units.
Another enduring memory is when I let her and Resler borrow my classic 1971 Ford LTD during lunchtime. I came back to campus and found it sans a hubcap and parked on top of an island in the parking lot. I drove that car hard and never do I remember losing a hubcap.
While the car was paid for and it was mine, it wasn't the shiniest jewel in the parking lot. I should have loved it more than I did, however. I used to hide it in the back corner of the lot. That it was elevated in one of the busiest spots on campus was quite shocking to me.
She probably had as much fun parking that car there as I did leaving science class. Actually, I'm sure she enjoyed that little stunt much more.
By the way, in the picture at the beginning of this post, that's Andrews (Mike) with Moyles -- probably at the senior prom. I have no idea why I still have that photo, but I'm glad it is now on the Internet for everybody to see, because it reminds me of the stunt with the LTD :).
I guess Moyles has been out of use as a moniker for a long time now, since she married Dave Souza, another classmate, years ago. Kelly and Dave still live in California and have two children.
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Moyles
Posted by
Paul
at
9:48 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Nice trick with the phone call to class, I'm surprised that one flew.
You wouldn't think it but Todd Braswell can sound very distinguished when he wants to. Plus, I don't think that teacher was a stickler for details.
I remember the day we borrowed your car,it still makes me laugh.Your missing hubcap now belongs to a neighbor of my parents.I also remember making phone calls from ceramics class to Mr. Karpor-something about a camel ? And a few phone calls from Mr. Wyatt about his crush on the ceramics teacher and lets not forget Kendra and the "fast Eddie" phone calls.Maybe I should stop-I have alot of stories.
Anyways...Iam happy to say that Moyles is still my best friend and even though we are out of high school the "last name" thing has continued.Moyles and Resler are still making each other laugh,but now its about how we are turning into our MOTHERS !
Robert+Kelly=4boys
oh my gosh that is soooo funny!!!! Gooood times!!! remember the girl in ceramics that loved resler and wrote her a note and it was so funny we couldnt even read it! REmember when bob doyle stole Mr kapoors tweety bird or something and made a ransom note!!!!
I love it :)
Your mind is like a steel trap, Moyles. I don't remember the note. I didn't even remember Mr. Kapoor's name until your comment. My memory of Doyle stealing the bird for ransom is faint. Man, we're getting old.
Post a Comment