This post is for any man whose wife has read the Twilight series--this includes you, honey.
I'm a little later than other women, but I've been reading the Twilight series. I started book 4, Breaking Dawn, this morning. I'm not done yet, but plan to be as soon as possible--even with Thanksgiving just hours away.
Anyway, as I've heard my husband tease me and talk about it with other men, I've been thinking about the real appeal and draw the books have for me. These are my thoughts (hopefully they are not too personal for you):
First, the books are well written, especially for someone like me who never really reads much. They flow easily and are very descriptive. I've gotten a little lost in conversations keeping up with who said what, but after I slow down and re-read, I figure it out. That's my problem--not the author's. I've also been impressed with the twists and turns, and even reality of several of the scenes. (My favorite so far is when "space-heater" Jake spends the night in the tent with Bella and Edward. I smiled through the whole conversation. That was really well written. You'd have to read Eclipse to understand...)
Second, I've been happily married nearly 14 years, and we've become very comfortable in our relationship. Reading about two people falling madly, eternally, forever in love has reminded me of what happened to me 14 years ago. I'm not kidding about this. For years Paul and I have been focusing on raising our family and surviving life--not so much about loving each other. So lets just say that the books have brought that back to the front of my mind. I like thinking about what brought us together and how I felt all those years ago.
This story is about two people loving each other completely. It takes time for each of them to realize that the other feels the same way. Let me share my favorite lines in all the books so far. It's from Breaking Dawn. Bella is talking about Edward: "I opened my eyes and found his open, too, staring at my face. It made no sense when he looked at me that way. Like I was the prize rather than the outrageously lucky winner." I love that! I remember all those years ago wondering how Paul could possibly like me as much as I liked him. Bella and I are lucky to have our love reciprocated.
So...my husband may laugh with other men about women's obsession with these books. That's okay. But when I snuggle a little closer on the couch or kiss him a second time as he leaves for work, I don't think he'll be complaining.
My suggestion to all men is this: read these books! You can think of them as "how-to" manuals. "How-to" what is up to you. But for me, it's been a "how-to-remember" that I'm not only a mother, I'm a wife, too.
Wednesday, November 26, 2008
why twilight
Posted by
Brandy
at
6:47 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Amen! You can say it so much better than I can.
The only way I'm reading those books is if they tell me how to become a vampire because suddenly my wife finds vampires very cool.
Very nicely put. I might send some friends this way.
If you go see the movie, just don't expect spectacular. I liked it because I liked the books.
They are wonderful books and yes everything you say is spot on. I think for men it will show them how we like the gentleman in them. We like to be loved, protected and cherished. Warning on book 4. I liked it but was embarrased thru it too. Love you guys so much!
If these books are like instruction manuals, then it is cheating for a man to read them.
Todd has read them, Paul! :)
Post a Comment