Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Change is good?

During the past 24 hours a lot has changed in America and its communities. The land will have a new president, it looks like California's Constitution may be changed in an effort to protect traditional marriage and here in Lorena alcohol will be sold legally for the first time ever.

The Lorena alcohol election won handily. I jokingly told my neighbor this morning that our families may have been the only ones in town to vote against it.

The purpose of this post is not to make any political statements. Rather, I want offer some evidence that change can sometimes bring unintended consequences.

Now that Emma is in preschool Brandy has been substitute teaching. At first the calls for her services came in slowly, but they have picked up considerably recently.

In an effort to support my wife, I have been trying to devote more time to helping with the business of running a household. About two weeks ago, I gave the kids a ride to school for the first time this year and ended up getting in a car accident. That small dent on my hood is hiding more significant damage that took two weeks to fix.

On Saturday, I helped with the laundry.

When Brandy went to take the clothes out of the dryer she discovered that I had left an ink pen in one of my pockets and it had leaked over some of our clothes. I lost three brand new shirts Brandy bought me just last week.

I hope our country deals with change better than I have. For me, it's been real humbling.

6 comments:

J & M Shumate Family said...

A funny way to look at change...made me smile! I'm not so sure about our country's change...hope it turns out for the best! As a side note...I bet Brandy is an awesome substitute teacher!

karin said...

Ditto to MaLaan.

TonyaKuykendall said...

Regardless of the outcome, it is nice to always have some help. I know of a cleaner at walmart that is supposed to take out ink stains.. We'll try it. :) PS. I voted against it also. Oh well.

Garza Family said...

It's the effort that counts. =)

Anonymous said...

Car accident? guess nobody got hurt?
School traffic is bad. I remember.
You will improve at doing the laundry. To bad about the ink pen damaging the new shirts. MomB

Anonymous said...

Paul, Please remind everyone you voted for Obama.