Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Tom Morton

Tom was hands down the best athlete in Granada High School's Class of 1989.

He was a left-handed pitcher and a solid hitter on the baseball team. Basketball was his best sport. Although he was not gifted with a lot of size, he had speed, smarts and the knack for playing basketball. The sport he loved, however, was football.

As a junior he beat out the brother of an NFL quarterback. As a second-year starting quarterback during his senior year, he led our team to a Northern California state playoff against perennial power De La Salle High School.

The Matadors were wiped all over the field during that championship game, but it didn't diminish the leadership Morton displayed throughout the year.

I was not on the football team, but I saw every game from the stands. When I look back at those games I remember seeing Morton absolutely taking charge, barking orders and demanding results. And, he got them. He was a tremendous leader on the football field, helping topple schools with more tradition and probably talent than we had.

He had the talent to play college football, but he was too prideful. Recruiters thought he was too small to play the position in college and his offers were from small colleges. Rather than play and transfer to a bigger school, he surprised everybody by joining the Army.

I grew up on a street with three boys my same age. All of our parents adored Tom because he was just so polite and charming. When there were no parents around, we used to call him Eddie Haskell of Leave it to Beaver fame, because the difference in his demeanor around parents and classmates was, well, Eddie Haskellish.

Sometimes Tom's lust for the spotlight hurt him. He could disrupt a teacher as easily as he could a defense. And when he would be on the bench for a breather when he was playing basketball he used to put on a show for his friends in the stands. His antics were commonplace. My memory of basketball games was Tom dominating when he was in the game and on the bench.

One year we played in a Babe Ruth summer baseball league together. One game I played left field, he played center. The outfield fence at the field was portable. It was supported by PVC pipe that held up a plastic mesh.

During the game a player from the other team crushed a ball. I was tracking it toward the fence and preparing to find the fence with my free hand when I heard Tom start yelling "plenty of room -- keep going!"

I did, right through the fence.

I was on the ground, the fence all around me, the ball just a few feet away when Tom caught up to me and began quietly laughing at me. He spoke so only I could hear, making fun of my predicament. His intention was to get me to run right on through the fence, and he did it.

I didn't even explain to people that it was my trust in him that made me run through that fence. I bore all responsibility and took all the ribbing from our teammates. I didn't want him to have the satisfaction.

Have you ever had a friend who you would run through a wall for? I guess you could say Tom was that kind of friend to me. He had a similar impact on his football teammates, although the walls they broke down were figurative.

I don't really know where Tom is today or exactly what his is doing. I have heard that he has some walls in front of him that he needs to break through.

If he were to ever read this post, I would encourage him to give me a call. I'd love to return the favor.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss Eddie Haskle an you know what?? That storey right there is exactly why that was his nickname. He was a funny guy to be around thats for sure. Love these Matador storey's man keep'm comin

A Day in the Life... said...

I had the biggest crush on that guy, it must have been his charm. I remember one day when he was home from the Army, we ran into him at the Barber Shop and he gave me $2 dollars, I think that was the amount? Anyway, I remember being so excited. It's funny how I remember these guys, being so young and all. I don't have the same memories as you, just the crushs of a young girl, ha ha!

Anonymous said...

I would never say he was a smart guy-maybe manipulating.Tom could benefit from a phone call to you Paul,I hope he reads your post. I know he has 2 beautiful daughters that would like to hear from him also.It's really to bad how his life has turned out.I did hear he might be giving rehab a try again !I hope he is.
What about Jim Joiner ? I thought he was the best player.
Robert+Kelly=4boys

Paul said...

I guess You could make an argument for Jim being the better athlete. But when you consider intangibles I don't think it was even close. Tom had talent but he was also a leader on the field, court or diamond.

Anonymous said...

what a great story, how I miss the guy!!! I am soooooo mad at him for what he has become but I miss the guy he was such great friends with before! sad what he has left behind,
I do only wish him the best and I hope he can come out of this, whatever it is a better person for his kids! I agree the stories are awesome keep them coming!!!

MikeVegas said...

I would call it a tie between Tom and Jim as far as best athletes go. Jim was bigger, faster and stronger. But Tom had quickness and a rifle for an arm.

Tom was strong in his own right, I remember a hit he made on me in football practice that had me seeing double. Also I don't think he was really that small either, I believe he was 5'10 or so. Did I mention Tom was quick? He and Jim were pretty much good in everything. I remember both were pretty good students too. I left Granada after my Sophomore year so I did not get to see these guys play their best years as athletes.

From what I am reading from the responses, Tom is in jail or something? Wow that is too bad, I always thought one day the guy would be a Senator or something. I wish him and the other Matadors the best.