Sunday, November 9, 2008

I'm a big baby

This week I cried in class. Real tears dripped down my cheek.

I was subbing for the computer teacher, so luckily all the students were focused on their computer screens, so no one saw. No, the kids weren't being bad...I was reading a book.

I kinda knew this eventually would happen. Since school began, I've read 5 (yes--FIVE) books. I've loved every one of them, too. The first three were a series recommended from a friend. (Big Stone Gap, Big Cherry Holler, and Milk Glass Moon by Adriana Trigiani.) The first two books I read mostly at home, and I stayed up late sometimes boo-hooing on the couch. When I started substitute teaching, I quickly found out that I would spend long periods of time doing absolutely NOTHING. So I started bringing a book. I finished Milk Glass Moon during class one day and having the kids in the room is the only thing that stopped my tears.

Well, I have to admit I knew what I was getting into with this last book. I mentioned to my mom that I wanted to read The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch, so she bought the book in Pennsylvania and mailed it to me. I know, I've got a great mom. Well, in case you don't know about this book, I'll tell you it's a book written by a dying man. He writes his life story in the context of what made his life great. Mostly it's about fulfilling childhood dreams. But through his story, he teaches you how to have dreams. And how to be a better parent.

So, knowing that Randy is writing this book as he is dying of cancer, and he is trying to leave a tangible legacy for his three young children, ages 6, 4, and 18 months, the ending really got me. And I cried. And I quickly blinked really hard and wiped the tears from my cheeks before any of the unsuspecting 5th graders saw me and could endlessly tease Rebekah that they saw her mom crying in class.

That might have been the end of Rebekah's glory days as a "teacher's daughter."

And I would have felt really bad for ruining her rep.

5 comments:

Larry said...

Randy Pausch was invited back to give a final lecture before he died at the university where he taught. The lecture was recorded and you can watch it on YouTube. It is worth watching.

Anonymous said...

I saw the guy and his presentation on the Oprah show. It was given as a lecture. Then after, he told us he was creating this presentation for his children.He wanted them to have it when he wasn't there to help them. Then decided it would be good for all people. Great wisdom and thought , a beautiful work.
Mom B.

Larry said...

Quitcher bein a baby!

karin said...

I have been meaning to read this book for awhile now. My aunt suggested it, Oprah suggested it and now you are suggesting.

I am glad you are getting a lot of reading in while you are substituting, reading and getting paid, that is a GREAT job.

Stamp With Linz said...

I'm glad you liked it, it was a touching perspective. :)