Sunday, November 23, 2008

Magic is unreliable

It's funny the range of emotions a single football game can bring to a person -- I'm talking about after it's over.

Last year BYU beat Utah in the rivalry game and the phrase "magic happens" was thrown around by delirious BYU fans who celebrated what seemed like an impossible victory. This year the rabbit stayed in the hat.

At church there are divided loyalties among members, even in Texas. Last year attending church was a delight. It was this year, too, but in a different way.

First, I must share a quick story about how the loss affected me. I was in my bedroom afterward sitting forlornly in a chair when I heard the windows rattle for an extended period of time. Then the phone rang and my sister-in-law told us there was a fireball in the sky. I just knew it was the end of the world. I always knew it would be precipitated by a BYU football loss to Utah.

Instead, it was just a HUGE test of a rocket at 10:30 p.m. at night. Next time the company will probably do a better job of notifying the public. Check out the video of the rocket test:



So today I am in the chapel at church and I see that one of our new missionaries is wearing a pareu, a dress-like wrap that Polynesian men sometimes wear. I was glad to see this elder proudly display a custom from his people but then I saw my children start laughing and pointing in his direction. Before even turning around I was thinking about the lesson I would soon be teaching my children.

Then I saw my favorite Ute fan in the ward. He showed up to church and wore a red Ute T-shirt over the top of his white dress shirt and tie. I immediately told him that what he was wearing was inappropriate for the chapel. He politely said that it was his opinion that his attire was entirely appropriate.

After sacrament meeting it occurred to me that this man might just need a lesson on fashion, so I looked all over church for him. Finally, I saw his wife and asked where he had gone. He had family in town and left church early.

I asked her to tell him one thing for me in the spirit of education. I told her to tell him that what he was wearing was not a sweater. Some Ute fans aren't as cultured as they could be. She smiled and promised to pass him the message.

I went and found a couple that together have professed their love for BYU and told them that my favorite Ute fan had left church early the day after the big victory. They tried consoling me by telling me that he probably left early to get drunk with his Ute friends. I laughed, only because I'm certain it is not true.

So, BYU fans, it's not the end of the world. The Utes won a big game and they are the better team.

At times like this I find consolation in a conversation I had just a week ago with a poor man who was educated at both universities. He tried to tell me that whatever the outcome of the game, he wins, because of his allegiance to both schools.

I told him that while the Utes may have helped mold his mind, they'll never have his heart. I know because he sent all four of his daughters to BYU.

I can appreciate what the Utes have accomplished. They are a great football team, but they will never capture my heart. No amount of magic could make it turn from blue to red.

1 comment:

Craig said...

I've had to console myself by repeating "10-2 is an excellent season" over and over.

We could have won. I just wonder why we weren't running the ball more. They couldn't stop it.

URGH!!!