
It has begun. Elders Russel M. Ballard and Quentin L. Cook have visited the editorial boards of several major newspapers and magazines in the Washington DC area. At these meetings they have affirmed that Mormons indeed consider themselves Christians. They have also explained that we believe that the church which the Savior set up during his mortal ministry has been restored.
I found the following clip from an article on the church Website particularly interesting:
"At the beginning of this year, feeding the words Mormon and Romney into a simultaneous Google search yielded around 16,000 hits. The same search today brings up more than a million.
"It’s this astonishing increase in visibility for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that has led some journalists to describe the current news coverage as a “Mormon Moment” for the Church.
"This is especially ironic considering the partisan political neutrality of the Church, which does not endorse candidates or party platforms, does not put out voter guides and has some of the strictest rules of any church in America in forbidding use of its buildings and membership rolls for political purposes."
Here is a link to the article:
http://www.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=4283e88a21304110VgnVCM100000176f620aRCRD&vgnextchannel=f5f411154963d010VgnVCM1000004e94610aRCRD
It indicates to me that these editorial board visits are not politically driven to assist Mitt Romney in his candidacy but rather something that is necessary to combat false or misleading information that has become more prominent since Romney began his run.
As a media professional, I really like this idea and believe that it will help provide clarification for multitudes of people curious about Mormons.
If you have an interest, here is a link to Elder Ballard's Nov. 1 Q&A with U.S. News and World Report:
http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/national/2007/11/01/qa-elder-m-russell-ballard-on-the-mormon-way.html
Thursday, November 8, 2007
Check Washington DC off the List
Posted by
Paul
at
11:57 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Paul, I was watching The View Wednesday and Joy commented that Mormons consider themselves Christians. You think that in this day and age People would know that we are Christians.
Even if he doesn't win the Presidency, he has done wonders for the Church. Everyday at work on the radio (I listen to talk radio) they mention Mitt Romney and Mormon. That's usually when my ears perk up.
I agree with Faye and Tonya's comments. I really have nothing else to add.
I unquestionably agree with k&b brown. Besides, the only times I make mistakes in my life is when I fail to heed my wife's (Faye’s) advice or trust her proven judgment. Faye’s wisdom stems from a higher authority where mine repeatedly come from cause and effect of life's experiences; hence, I concur with k&b brown.
Post a Comment