Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I am Proud of my Son


My son earned what I hope will be his first of many scholarships today and as a result some time after the first of the year, he will spend a night with classmates on the U.S.S. Lexington in Corpus Christi. We originally told him he had no chance of going on the trip. He's only in the sixth grade! Sixth graders don't travel hours to the south and spend the night on a ship. And there was just no way we were going to cough up more than $300 so he could go.

He persisted and told us about an opportunity he had to try for a scholarship the school would offer to a select few. We encouraged him to apply for it and two essays later, how could we say no?

Here are the essays:

I want to go on the Lexington trip because I don’t know a lot about the Navy’s role in war and I think I should because my Grandpa and Great Grandpa where in the Navy. Also I want to learn more about different marine animals. I think it would be a life changing experience. I also want to go because I have never been anywhere for more than one day with out being with some relative of some sort. I hope to learn more about the Lexington and the role it played in WWII.

I think I would be a good choice to go on the Lexington because I do my best in school to make all A’s. I didn’t do it the 2nd 6 weeks but I made all A’s and one B+ I think. I also think I am a good choice because I am a scout and am currently ranked second class which is four under Eagle rank (the highest rank in boy scouts). The reason my family and me couldn’t get the money is first it is a lot of money and my mom had one emergency surgery and another planned surgery within 3 weeks of each other. I hope you conceder me for a scholarship to go on the Lexington trip.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too am proud of Paul Ivan. I'm excited he gets to go and tour a real Naval ship. I'm sure there are many more scholarships in his future. Good Job Paul I.!!

Michele said...

After reading those sweet essays, how could anyone say no to him?

karin said...

For him, I am excited but as a mother, terrified.
I hope it is better than he expects.

Anonymous said...

I am PROUD of you Paul I. You da man! Keep in mind that visiting a ship of war is educational and exciting, but if you set sail, the game begins. Better call Mom is you hear over the 1MC, "Set the sea and Anchor Detail".

Anonymous said...

Way to go Paul. I loved your essay. Remember to wear your camera. JCV

The Nielsens said...

You would have my vote. Glad others felt the same way. Have a fun trip.

J & M Shumate Family said...

Paul is one seriously neat kid. I'm sure the experience will be SUPER cool. Just tell him he can't join the Navy!!!

Anonymous said...

Paul, My name is recruiter Kelly, I like your gumpshin. Call me 555-1212