Thursday, November 22, 2007

A Serving of Humble Pie



For the past five years, on Thanksgiving eve we have visited the home of some friends who invite lots of people into their home and host "pie night." Each family or visitor brings a pie or dessert dish and everybody mingles and generally has a good time. This year was the first time that I went into pie night with an objective.

It was simple enough. I was going to speak with the pie night host (he is also the 11-year-old boy scout leader) and try to turn down what I thought was an invitation to attend a boy scout camp out on Friday. I had a good excuse, too. I expect to work late and would not be able to make it to the camp out until it is time to go to sleep.
It was explained to me that when 11-year-old scouts camp out, their fathers should attend. That was enough to convince me that I needed to step up and attend, but then, after I had already eaten, I was fed some more pie. The scout leader showed absolutely no sympathy for my situation.
Instead, without complaining or whining, he educated me about the past several years in which he has served in the scouting program. I had been to a father/son camp out with him several years ago and found out then about his less-than-enthusiastic view of camping. I was reminded on Wednesday night that he is 20 years older than me and has been camping many, many times over the past couple of years.
Tomorrow I will swallow my pride and, after I get off work, go camping. I really don't have it too bad. The tent will be set up, and I haven't had to worry about any of the preparations that go into a camp out.
My biggest concern is the weather because the temperature is expected to dip into the 30s. One thing I know I will gain from this camp out is a better appreciation for those who accept calls to serve and go about it quietly and consistently.
I'll have another serving of humble pie tomorrow night. I'll take it cold, thank you.

2 comments:

karin said...

I have found the best lessons I have learned are through humility. Good luck on the camp out.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you Paul I just don't think camping is all that fun, the ground is alot harder when you become an adult, it wasn't that hard when I was a kid. I'll say an extra prayer for you.