I feel so bad. Sister Foster gave our lesson in Relief Society today and during her lesson she referenced our high councilor's talk several times. But honestly, I missed the whole first half. Instead of listening to him, my mind was in that place where you rewind everything you've just said to analyze if it came out right.
I've known for over a month that I would speak in sacrament today (apparently Debra had 3 days notice??). I'm just not that thrilled at the prospect, but for some reason, I was a tiny bit glad to have the opportunity, because when I spoke in June, I was not happy with the result. I gave a Father's Day talk all about the lessons I've learned from the fathers in my life. I didn't use one single solitary scripture. I was trying to stay within 10 minutes, so I just told my stories and sat down. Talk about regret. I think I wanted to redeem myself a little. Every good sacrament talk needs a balance of stories and scripture. I'm not saying I had the perfect balance this time--but it was certainly better than before.
Another odd thing about this time was that I was completely finished by Friday. That never happens. Maybe all my blogging has helped me write faster.
In the car on the way home, I asked Isaac what his favorite part of church was and he answered, "you giving your talk." Man--I am raising my kids right. They know that flattery will get them places.
In the slow-mo rewind of my talk, I think I caught a huge mistake. I sure hope not, but when referring to my family, despite what was written on my paper, I think I said "my brother-in-laws". Sure it sounds okay, but really folks, my dad didn't spend all that money on my college degree for me to get up there and make the six people in the audience who caught it cringe. So I correct myself: I am blessed to live near my two brothers-in-law.
Whew--now my mind can rest.
Sunday, November 18, 2007
Talkin'
Posted by
Brandy
at
8:24 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It was a GREAT talk! We got a lot of good things out of it! We're waiting for our Squanto (job) to find us! ;)
Isn't it funny how we replay our talk in our mind? My dad says there are three types of talks: 1) the one we plan to give, 2) the one we actually give and 3) the one we wished we gave. And only having the one mistake be a gramatical one is pretty good.
Post a Comment