I had a neat experience yesterday. Our sacrament meeting was designed, in part, to be a tribute to veterans. Our first speaker was a National Guardsman who just returned from two back-to-back tours in Iraq (that's 3 total years!). His talk was reminiscent of the old missionary homecoming talks. He told stories and bore his testimony. During his talk, I really did feel the Spirit. The thought came to me that no matter what your political views are, you cannot sit and listen to a man like this tell his story and not feel an increased sense of patriotism--a sense of pride for our military.
The closing hymn was My Country 'Tis of Thee. I've sung this song my whole life. It's never carried the same spirit as our national anthem. Until yesterday. I had to fight back the tears. I wondered why?
Now this is my neat experience: I realized that my Heavenly Father is in the middle of teaching me a new principle. I've had this principle come to my mind a lot lately. The lesson I am learning is found in Doctrine and Covenants 29:34: "Wherefore, verily I say unto you that all things unto me are spiritual, and not at any time have I given unto you a law which was temporal..." Yesterday I know I felt the spirit testifying of the importance of our country and the nobleness of serving in the military.
Now that I'm aware of what I am supposed to be learning, I will be looking for more applications. I will be searching for the reason why I am supposed to know this.
(hint, hint: for those in our ward, you will be hearing some of this again real soon...)
Monday, November 12, 2007
Veteran's Day
Posted by
Brandy
at
10:04 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I to was touch yesterday. I realy appreciated the youth of the ward sing to the standing veterans. That was very meaningful to me. Does the hint mean we will be hearing from you with a microphone close by? JCV
How great! My favorite 4th of July was a few years ago on a Sunday and we went to Killeen to visit Bryan's cousin, who happened to be in a military ward. I will never forget the spirit that I felt there and the pride I felt for our troops. It wasn't even recognized in our ward that it was Veteran's Day.
Sounds like we missed a good meeting. We saw you as we were driving back from San Antonio. (Right there by the exit to get to your house.) :)
That very scripture came to my mind today. I appreciated learning again from your application.
I too was touched by Sundays meeting. A lesson I was reminded of is that whether one is serving our country or serving in our ward, or in the church, or in the community, if someone is serving in our behalf we should be grateful and supportive of the efforts made.
I was also touched by seeing those in our ward who have served our country.
Post a Comment