Wednesday, November 21, 2007

YeeHaw!




My mom is a kind soul. She really wants to be a positive influence in my kids' lives. She's read this blog and knows that both Isaac and Emma have recently been traumatized by immunizations. She saw her recent flu shot appointment as an opportunity to show Emma that even grandmas have to get shots.

So off they went. Emma and Grandma headed to Fort Hood for the day. Grandma got the planned shot, and Emma learned the planned lesson. When they got home, I asked Emma if Grandma cried, and Grandma admitted that she wasn't about to do anything that would scare Emma in any way. So I guess she didn't cry.

Honestly, it's the unplanned lesson that Emma learned that I'm worried about. After the visit to the doctor, the girls decided to do a little shopping. Apparently as Emma and Grandma approached the post exchange, a man in a cowboy hat walked out the front door. And apparently Emma said, "Grandma, I want a cowboy hat." So Grandma bought her one. It was that easy. I want, I get. That's not exactly the lesson Emma needed to learn. And I'm pretty sure Emma didn't even say "please."

My mom is a big influence in my kids' lives. They know they are loved. They want for nothing (that Grandma doesn't end up getting them within a week or two of them voicing their desire). They get regular visits to the "round house resort" where they have no chores and plenty of M&M's and Grandma's undivided attention and full say as to what is playing on the big screen HDTV. (for those of you who've never been to my mom's house, it's a dome house that overlooks a lake--we call it the round house) My mom makes sure they live a pretty good life. When she's gone, she's guaranteed that they will have very fond memories of their grandmother.

But the cowboy hat experience has taught me a little about my mom and how she operates. And let's just say I can't wait to go shopping with my mom.

4 comments:

karin said...

I have been told SEVERAL times that it is the job of the grandparents to spoil the grandkids (by my dad of course). It is a hard thing to go through as a parent but as the receiver of the unconditional love (and gifts) it is great.

Anonymous said...

Bran, listen to K&B Brown, she know knows what she's talking about. That's our job and we do it proudly. Plus we have alot of fun doing it. Plus Emma is just beatiful in her hat and cowboy boots. She may grow into them both one day HAHA

karin said...

Brandy, you are a winner- 2 of those comments weren't trying to win- they had already "won"

Anonymous said...

Bran, I know Miss Emma must have said, "Please." The word please goes along way with Grandma.