Saturday, November 24, 2007

Sleeping with the Grizzlies


I went on the camp out, and I admit that I didn't sleep well at all. I felt every rock and piece of crabgrass under me and the temperature did dip into the 30s. I had so many layers of clothing on that I was actually hot and I could barely bend my arms. I had to remove some clothing in the middle of the night. At one point I woke up and could barely move. Evidently the force of gravity can be felt more intensely the older one gets and the closer they are to the Earth's surface.

It rained like crazy, too. I didn't get really wet until we broke camp. After we finished I was getting into my car and I pulled my cell phone from my jacket pocket. It was like I was pulling it from a lake. Maybe it will work tomorrow, but I don't have a lot of hope.

In spite of all these negative factors, I really did have a good time on the camp out. It felt good to support my son and to support other scouts. I was where I was supposed to be.

I slept in a tent with two scout leaders and the son of one of the leaders. I actually felt sorry for the young scout who got stuck sleeping in our tent because at times during the night there was a serious snore fest going on. The snoring was so bad by the two men I shared the tent with that I actually started to feel sorry for their poor wives who must deal with these issues on a nightly basis.

In the morning I found out that I was definitely a participant in the snore fest!

That poor scout. I hope he recovers soon from the night he slept near the grizzlies.

3 comments:

karin said...

Better to be hot and remove clothing than cold and have no clothing to add.

Take the cell phone battery out and let it dry for 48 hours and it should work- my sister had hers in a pool and my brother's friend had hers thrown in the pool by my son and it worked for both of them- just leave it alone for 48 hours don't keep checking it. I hope it works.

Anonymous said...

This wife just shakes him to get the snoring stopped. It works for a while usually enough to get back to sleep. Too bad he learned the same thing to do with me. Look out Brandy. JCV

Anonymous said...

Thank you Paul for a great and pure exposure to LDS Camp-outs. I have participated in several campouts and they can only be likened to the experiences told of the Donner Pass Party. Your blog enlightened me to the indisputable reason I work far from home. I am not too keen on walking through rain forest with venomous snakes and insects but it is a far cry more comfortable than enduring LDS campouts. We should always do the right thing for the right reason. I participated in the campouts because, as you, I love Paul I. and Isaac more than life itself and had an unquestionable need to share as much of my life (that I have left) with them. Till now, I thought I did this work because Grandma needed a new pair of shoes and am compelled and honored to provide needs to the love of my life. Now, thanks to your writing, I know a major part of my decision to work abroad is to avoid LDS campouts. Selfish, I think not, as selfishness is not sharing the joy of outdoor living with you wife. Think Our Bishop would allow mothers or grandmothers to attend? Oh yeah, no girls, I withdraw my question.