Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Actions Speak Louder Than Words


As a baseball fan I have been reading about players coming forward after the Mitchell Report and either admitting to using performance enhancing drugs or denying it. It has become tiresome hearing things like "I never did it to gain a competitive advantage. I did it to overcome an injury."

In general those who play the game professionally have very little credibility right now, and frankly, I don't believe most of them.

The person who is the most unbelievable is star pitcher Roger Clemens. He came out and strongly denied ever using any performance enhancing drugs. And make no mistake, his denial was unequivocal.

It was in direct contrast to an event that unfolded in the second game of the World Series at Yankee Stadium on Oct. 22, 2000.

Clemens shattered Mike Piazza's bat with a pitch. As Piazza began trotting toward first base the ball trickled foul. To the surprise, I think, of millions watching the game, Clemens reached down and picked up a sharp shard of wood and flung it in the direction of Piazza.

The act silenced more than 56,000 fans at the stadium, and many of them probably thought exactly what I did at the time.

"If that is not roid rage, then I don't know what is."

2 comments:

karin said...

The thing I don't like the most about the drug stuff is that they are trying to justify it by saying the fans weren't going to games until players started using. Some of us don't go to games because we can't afford it, not because we haven't been wowed by the players.

Anonymous said...

I never knew that happened, Great memory Paul